Thursday, July 23, 2009

Killer Kourse

I went to the contact and weaves class last night. Meagan set up a couple of courses for me to run with Miley. I don't think I ran them right one time.




I was suppose to front cross between #4 and #5 and then rear cross after she went into #6. I kept messing up the front cross. Then when Miley would get into the weaves, she popped one pole early and took the off course into the tunnel entrance #12. It was at first my fault because I was to far forward of the end of the weaves which was cuing the wrong tunnel entrance. You needed to hang back a little but she still kept taking the off course tunnel entrance. We finally had to move the tunnel entrance so she couldn't see the opening . Then she finally came to me and got into tunnel #7.

Here was the next course. I messed this one up too. I kept cuing extension over jump #6, so she was way wide going to the teeter. And I did it again going over #11. That time was really bad because she needed to turn tight to get back into the weaves. I don't know where my brain was.




Guiness had his Control Unleash class. He just cracks me up. When in class you would never know this dog has any issues. He seems perfect. I need to take video while walking at the park. Silly dog. We worked on "incoming". Its what you tell your dog when another dog is coming to get into his face. We took our dogs, one by one, into a gated area. Meagan would bring her dog by the gated area. When she did this, you would tell your dog, "incoming" and start giving him treats. The dogs were kept different distances from the gate and she would either walk or run her dog past the gate, depending on the dogs comfort level. We also work on sending the dogs to the mat. The dog first had to go around a stanchion and then you added your mat. You want to practice more and more distance and multiple mats to send your dog to. This can help when at a class. If you dog is stressed or maybe going to become reactive you send them off to their mat. Guiness just cant get the hang of the mat. So I'm just using his soft crate and that worked much better.

The ride home last night was a white knuckle ride. Once I got to the highway it started raining. It poured down rain and lightning all the way home. The kind of rain where you cant hear the radio because its pounding so hard on your car. It was hard to see and you had to drive pretty slow. I just followed the people in front of me. I was so happy to get home last night. An hour and 15 minutes of that was stressful.



5 comments:

Sara said...

That first sequence looks really tough! I'd be surpised if anyone got it right.

Glad you made it home safe. Driving in downpours is tough.

Jules said...

In the first sequence, is that a wrap after 5 into 6? Tough!

It sounds like you've been getting a lot out of these classes - which is great.

Chris and Ricky said...

Those do look like killer sequences! Glad it was you doing them and not me!

kathy bordergirlsmom said...

Hey great killer sequences, looks like they would make a great practice. I wish we had a control unleashed class in the area, I would love to be able to have dogs to work on that stuff with and I love all the control unleashed work it has helped so much with my lizzie and her space cadet issues

Lian said...

I've just tried these killer kourses and they were so much fun. Saturn and Sizzle did them perfectly. I feel good about it. Thanks for posting these courses!!