Friday, July 17, 2009

Collection exercises

">


We worked some collection exercises this afternoon. I think I have her set to close to the first jump. Otherwise I think it looked pretty good. I have the space between the jumps at 4 feet 6 inches. Its hot as heck outside today. 97 degrees.


Tried to walk the dogs this morning. Guiness refused to go. He has been acting weird the last 2 weeks. On our walks, he has refused to go any further earlier and earlier in the walk. Now today, he refused to go at all. I guess I need to take him to the vet and see if anything is wrong. His gait is a little different at times. He has always walked with his back feet crossing but it looks a little worse at times. And sometimes going down hill, his stride is short. The hard part is, they will probably say, "we cant find anything wrong". Maybe its just him. I don't know.

I took just Miley to the park. Its easier with just her. She doesn't act crazy when a bike goes by like she does when Guiness is with us. Plus she isn't scared of people like Guiness . Its funny , Guiness has always been fine in all the dog classes I have taken him to. Never nervous or anything. We have been to a bunch of dog agility camps, never a problem. Yesterday I came home from walking the dogs in the neighborhood. A man neighbor came out and wanted to pet the dogs. He was walking toward us. Miley is happy and excited. You can tell she wants to greet him. Guiness, not so much. Guiness growled a couple of times. His ears are down , tail is down and he is stepping backwards. All this is screaming dont touch me. But people don't care. Why do we ignore dogs body language. The man did pet Guiness and I gave Guiness treats while he was doing it. Why didn't I say , "Don't pet Guiness". I guess I didn't want to hurt the mans feelings. When the man stepped back, Guiness lunged and growled at him. Great. So next time , I'm just going to say, "Please don't pet Guiness, he may bite."

My daughter doesnt listen to dogs body language either. She always wants to snuggle with Miley. Miley doesn't like it. Miley is usually laying on my bed or on the ottoman next to my bed. When Stephaine comes over Miley starts turning her head away from her and not looking at her. I asked her why she keeps on even though the dogs body language is telling her, "I don't like this". She said because Miley is so cute and she just wants to hug her. So I guess what we want over rides what the dog wants. I did take to her about this.

Sorry, here are more pictures from our walk.

Photobucket">

Photobucket">

Photobucket">

Photobucket">


I was standing on a rock in the water to take some of the pictures. When I looked down, there was this frog. I was just glad it wasnt a snake.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Gorgeous photos. 97 - wow that's hot. Everyone here is complaining, because we haven't gotten into the 80's but 3 days all summer.

I always tell people who want to touch my dogs "They're really shy, and like to be left alone." That usually does the trick, especially with kids. Even little kids understand the word "shy".

Lian said...

Miley's jumping skill is looking very good.

Love the photos but got scared of the last one with the frog, so spooky! BTW, I am very scare of frogs!

Jules said...

Poor Guinness. Have you had him tested for TBDs? Sorry, it's on my mind! :-)

I hope you get to the bottom of his malaise soon.

Great pictures.

Chris and Ricky said...

I don't know how Miley can jump when it's 97 out! I would be passed out in the shade some where (unless a squirrel came by). Wonder what is going on with Guiness? Some people in my neighborhood have a sheltie who just turned 12 and she has been refusing to walk very far for awhile now. Could it just be his age?

Beautiful photos - the river is so pretty!

Dawn said...

She looks wonderful jumping! Love the photos, always a delight to see what you got to see. The frog is very very cool! Glad you didn't step on him! :O Poor Guiness. Didn't he have a period a year or more ago when he didn't want to go on walks? Maybe it's the same thing. Or was that after he was lost that he didn't want to go out for walks? I forget...

Dawn P said...

Oh, I totally know where you are coming from with Guiness. Yes, it's hard and people just don't care. I don't know what happened to let the dog sniff you and decide whether or not he or she wants to say hello.

Hope Guiness is okay. Could his reluctance be due to the heat?

Blue said...

I am always amazed by people who can't (or choose not to) read dog body language. Even worse are people who don't ask before petting. I've had adults do it to Iris!

Iris is usually good with adults, but I'm careful with kids. I usually just tell people that Iris came from a shelter and she's afraid of strangers (shy is another good word). I hate using the fact that she's a rescue dog as an excuse, but people seem to understand that better.