Monday, June 29, 2009

The ups and downs of today

Today was a weird day. It started at 6am and it was already 80 degrees out. So I took the dogs for a walk in the neighborhood. Then a while later we practiced some agility. It didn't go well. She was wild and over the top. She couldn't make a weave pole entry. ( sound familiar?) So I went in and got the clicker. I clicked as soon as she got the entry. We did that a few times and things got better. But I felt terrible. We go to a trial on Wednesday and I really wanted to do well.

Then this afternoon I set up a figure 8 of jumps with a tunnel in each opposite corner and the table in another corner. She did really well. She had a few tunnel sucks but other than that it was great. Ok, I felt better. Then after dinner we took the a-frame out of the garage and put it in the backyard. It was the first time she ran over the a-frame that didn't have slats plus it had the new contact coat on it.">



Well the first time over she jumped the contact. Crap!! I just couldn't believe it. She hadn't done that in a long time. I really thought we had this thing nailed. Then next time, she got it. I ran her two more times, she jumped once and stopped the second time again. I hope its just her getting use to the new feel of the a-frame. Once again, I felt terrible. I start thinking about the trial and my high hopes. I' ve been reading Lanny Basshams book ,"The Mental Management system, with Winning in Mind". You have to be positive and think positive. Don't think about when things went wrong , only think about the things that went right. The difference between highly successful people and everyone else is highly successful people write their goals down. You have to not only write your goals down but a time line and how you plan to accomplish your goal. Ive done all that. What is my goal? To make it into excellent by the end of the year. A positive self -image is very important and probably my biggest obstacle. When things don't go right I get really down and cant see the good. Like at the last trial on Sunday, Miley ran open JWW. Afterwards I felt it was a terrible run and wanted to go home. I was so shocked when Meagan came to me and said what a good run I had. She could see the positive. She said I had one of the few dogs that didn't spin coming out of the tunnel and I handled it really well. All I could think about was the missed weave poles. Even though everything else was perfect. So that's what I have to change. How I see things. On a side note, Meagan is such a great teacher. She always seems to know what I need to work on. When at a trial , even though she is running several dogs and that weekend was sick with a stomach bug, still found time to come talk to me. You are going to think this is stupid but it made me feel great.

This evening we took the dogs out on the boat. Its just so flipping hot outside to go for our walks. Miley did great swimming today. So now Im up again. Lol






Look, " Im king of the world".

Look how far Im standing in the water.

( I didnt have my good camera with me, so the pictures arent as good)

3 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I wish you lived closer, I imagine you would be such a fun person to train with and it seems like so many of your issues are just the things we go through! I am also worried because I signed up for a couple of trials and then I realized all the things I feel like we really need to work on, LOL, I KNOW where you are coming from.

Chris and Ricky said...

Isn't life just like that - there are ups and downs - it's part of the deal. Don't worry about Miley! I'm sure she had to get used to the feel of the contactacoat - she'll go back to her great contacts! Everything will be just fine! Good luck at the trial and have fun!

Miley is doing so great with her swimming! Dad sure wishes I would swim!

Sara said...

You are very hard on yourself. It is hard to focus on the positive sometimes, because we all want to do well. Especially when we know our dogs are capable of nailing the sequence!

I have gone into my two trials with low expectations. I always think Oreo will do nothing. That way, when he does something right, I'm thrilled. It keeps me relaxed.

Miley is doing great swimming! I bet she was happy to cool off a bit.