Thursday, June 18, 2009

3 for 1




Yesterday I went up to North Carolina for a lesson with Meagan. To get the most bang for my buck, I first had a private lesson, then took the "weave and contact" class and then took the "control unleashed" class. So I left here about 3pm and got home around 11pm. And that kicked my butt and I'm beat this morning. I was suppose to go with my husband down to the beach this morning. He had a meeting down there but I just couldn't get my act together in time to go. Poor Lou.


The second course above is one of the sequences we worked on. It was from a regionals course, I think that is what Meagan said. My first problem was between 3 and 4. First I did a post turn. What do you think happened? Yes , she went into the wrong end of the tunnel because that is what my shoulders told her to do. Then I tried a false turn, and it was a good concept, but I wasn't being very effective. So we worked on using my left arm coming up( arm furthest from the dog) which cues the dog that we are turning, telling her "tight" so she wraps the jump, and then once I get her head, flip back into the correct tunnel entrance. But Meagan did say with Miley she probably would just do a front cross there but I still need to know the other skill. Next problem area was 8 to 9. Trying to get Miley into that tunnel entrance was not happening. I either made her turn right back onto the dogwalk or sent her into the weaves. I needed to release Miley, take a step back and then pull her toward me to send into the tunnel. Something else I need to work on.
The top course is a continuation of the bottom course but I couldn't remember what was in between the weaves to the a-frame so I just made a new sequence out of it. Again I had the same problems. Going over jump 2 she then flew over the double #5. So again I was to use my outside arm, get her attention and then send to #3. Then I started pulling her in to much. At least I know what I need to work on.
We also work on the circle of death for serpentines, treadles, 180's ,front crosses and post turns.
Very good lesson. The weaves and contact class was very good too. She set up some more sequences to challenge weave entries. Maybe later I will get around to posting those. Last was the "control Unleashed class". I took Guiness to that. He was so excited to be there. I think he thought he was going to an agility class. Poor guy. I will do another post on that class which I learned a lot to help both Guiness and Miley.






3 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Sounds like a FULL afternoon of dog training, how fun. I will have to try that sequence, thanks for posting it. I can not wait to hear what you thought of the control unleashed.

Sara said...

Sounds like a great day.

I read the book Control Unleashed, but I'm sure you learn a lot more in a class!

Natasha said...

Wow, that's a lot of training! I'm not surprised that you were so tired after! I've heard great things about Control Unleashed.

~Nat