Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lesson

Photobucket">

I went up to North Carolina again for a lesson with Meagan. The person's who's house it is at has a pool. So I had asked Meagan if Miley could watch her dogs swim. Maybe she would think swimming is fun. She didn't. As soon as she saw the pool, she tried to bolt. I did make her get in twice for 10 seconds. It was 94 degrees out so it would help cool her off.

The lesson. Miley was weird. First she wanted to run crazy around the yard. I was trying to do a warm up jump and she just decided to keep taking the rest of the jumps. Then we started the course. She couldn't weave. She just kept popping out. To many weave poles yesterday?? I have this problem. If some thing is broken, I over work the problem. I'm going to start keeping a little notebook in my pocket when I train so I can keep tic marks on how many reps I do of something. So Meagan gave me some things to work on to keep her in the poles. I need to work on slowing down and moving away from the poles. Miley is very sensitive to my movement when she is in the poles. Any change, she pops out.

We went on with the course and she wouldn't get on the table. She ran wide circles around the table. I told Meagan that's what she did at the trial but she finally got on. Last night she wouldn't get on. So Meagan told me to put her back in her crate. Which I did. Then I got Guienss out and let him run some tunnels and low jumps and the table. Then I brought Miley back out. Meagan told me if she even gets on the table , immediately release to the next obstacle. Miley sees the table as stopping all the fun. So she did jump right on the table and I release her to the teeter. She ran half way up and jumped off the side. What the heck? Then she wouldn't get on at all. I even went and got some licorice. She loves that. She would only go half way up. Meagan told me to stop working her that maybe she was mentally done. So we did. And we didn't do the contact and weave class either.

I reviewed the video from the field the other day. It looks like she got hit by the teeter. Ive slowed the video down but its so far away that it hard to tell. Ill post the video here . Let me know if you see it too. Video is posted at the bottom. I tried to increase the size.

As luck would have it a Chiropractor came out the the class last night. So I had her check Miley. I didn't really tell her what was wrong but she was able to feel her left hip joint was out and her muscles over her right side were tight. Also her head was out. ( That was my fault too. I had her on a line that was tied at the field and she went for a car before I could get her attention. So I guess you can see what happened there.) So today , I'm suppose to let her rest and then gradually increase her activity. And I'm to let her know if I see any difference. O, I forgot to tell you this. I hadn't seen any skipping on the left leg down the dogwalk in a while. Last week when I went to my lesson I was thinking, she is doing great. So you know what happened. She was running the dogwalk and her foot got caught in the space between the up ramp and the cross ramp . As soon as that happened she skipped down the down ramp. Crap. I saw her skip at the training field this week too. Crap! But I haven't seen anything else.

This is the dogwalk from the class. I know its dark but you can see the space.


This is the dogwalk from our training field. No gap.

;

The gap is probably not a big deal for bigger dogs but for Miley's little feet,it just fell right in. So last night I brought Styrofoam and put it in the space. That seemed to work well.

This post is getting long so Ill talk about Guiness's CU class in another post. Last night when I got home, Miley wasn't tired at all. Eleven at night and she barking at me and bringing me toys.

">

7 comments:

Jules said...

Hmmm...It does look like she *might* have gotten caught by the bounce back. Hopefully it will be an easy obstacle rehab.

It's great you had the opportunity to have a chiropratcor check her out, too.

Lian said...

I saw the see-saw bounced back and hit her back! I hope she isn't hurting too much. Sometimes this activity can be a pain especially when you have a sensitive sheltie.

I can't believe the gap on the dog walk, it is very dangerous even for a bigger dog, you just don't know when the dog stride, it might caught the leg when they are on the gap.

Hope Miley is feeing better.

Sara said...

It does look like the teeter may have hit her.

That gap on the dog walk looks huge to me. Strange design.

Chris and Ricky said...

Well, I repeat everything that Lian and Sara said! I sure hope the hit with the teeter is nothing serious. It didn't slow Miley down though!

Natasha said...

It looks to me like the teeter did hit her. Just progress very slowly, maybe go back and go through all the steps of training the teeter, progressing fast or slow depending on her confidence level. Mika had a bad experience on a teeter two years ago that completely erased her confidence, and it took a year and a half to get her confidence back. Of course, Miley's case probably isn't that extreme! -- just be cautious :) It's important to get her confidence back carefully.

~Nat

kathy bordergirlsmom said...

I thought it looked like the teeter hit and if it didnt it was close enough that I would not be suprised if she was a little leery of it now. She should come back quick though I would think..ya know if it isnt one thing it is another isnt it? LOL, you are so good with her and she is so willing to play that I am sure it will be a quick fix

Dawn P said...

Wow, that gap looks dangerous.