Sunday, June 28, 2009

Practice

Today I took Miley out to the field to train. I really just wanted to run a course. I set up the course above. I decided to run it and not stop no matter what. I tried to act like I would at a trial. It didn't go well. At the start line, I threw the leash and she released into the tunnel. Oops. ( More training). Then I didn't give enough forward momentum and she didn't carry on to jump #5. So then I was out of place, didn't front cross after #6 , nore after the teeter, so she didn't get in the weaves. Oops, Oops and Oops. But I wanted to keep going to see if I could get back on track. After many problems at the weaves we go back on track and finished the rest of the course. This is kinda what happens to me at a trial. I get out of place and things fall apart. I still didn't handle is well. I probably shouldnt show you the video but hey you have to show the good with the bad.

practice june 27, 2009 from Diana Krause on Vimeo.




Her teeter seems better. I worked it before running her. I watch Meagan the other night work with someone on their teeter. She had the bottom of the teeter on the table. You have someone hold the dog while you go to the end of the teeter. You call the dog to you while holding the teeter and slowly lower it. Then treat them when the teeter hits the ground. Then release. So we did this a few times and then took the table away. So far , so good.

I never talked about Guiness's control unleashed class. One of the things we worked on was holding a treat in your hand so your dog can see it. When you dog looks away from your hand to your face, click and treat. Guiness couldn't do this at all. That says some thing. Maybe that part of our problem. Ive been working on this at home with him and Miley. Miley took longer than I thought before she looked at me. But after that first time, she got it pretty quickly. Poor Guiness took forever to look at me. I think 3-4 minutes, maybe more. He would give me downs and sits, then stare intently at my hand. I kinda had to cheat and move my head a tad, then he finally looked at me. We have lots of work to do.

O'yea at practice today, no skipping down the contacts. WhooHoo!!

9 comments:

Sara said...

When you threw the leash, it did look like a "send to tunnel" cue!

When you split the course into two parts, things went well. Maybe Miley needs more frequent reinforcement (that's the teacher in me talking).

Glad to hear there wasn't any skipping today!

Chris and Ricky said...

Wow - the split course was awesome!! Miley did so well on everything. Her contacts were amazing! Looks like she totally knows 2o2o now! Good weaves, good teeter!

Did you run the entire course again after she did so well on the two halves? Just wondering...

Diana said...

No Ricky, I didnt run the whole course again. I have a tendency to over due things, so I decieded we had done enough. Diana

Dawn said...

Miley is a joy to watch! (and the music makes it even more fun!) She's so excited to run. She looked good on the split sessions.

Anonymous said...

I'd credit those mistakes at the beginning to Miley still being young and you guys still molding yourselves into a team. Someday she'll be able to make up for little handling mistakes, but not yet. Spy does the same- I just can't make the little mistakes with her that I can Marron and still have a clean run. She pulls off things easier and accidently sends to things easier. I also think the faster the dog, the longer it takes to develop the type of teamwork where you make up for each other, so you'll get there! I'd be pretty pleased with those 2o2o contacts... she looked very committed to holding them, at least on the training field! Miley really is a joy to watch!

Blue said...

Good luck with the Control Unleashed class! I'm dying to get Iris into a CU class, but it keeps conflicting with other things. I'd love to hear more about how Guiness' class is going.

manymuddypaws said...

your contacts are looking great!!! after such a stuggle with them you should be super proud!!!

the first time that you ran the course and she flipped away (I think around #5) I think you aren't always consistent with your arm cues/changes- I have seen you flip her away on course intentionally with that same arm, so when you brought it up to turn towards you she could have been confused as to what it meant...anyway, just a thought..

regardless, miley is super cute, even when she is being bad! :o)

kathy bordergirlsmom said...

Regardless of anything else Miley just is so much fun to watch, it is obvious she has so much fun. You guys looked really great when you split the course up. I think like loralei said I think these baby dogs just are learning and when anything is just a little off they do not have enough experience to figure it out or cover for us, when I run my instructors dog Pickle it is just so cool because he is so good and has so much experience that I can be a little off my mark, or move my hand a tad later or things like that and he totally still gets it-I imagine it would not be good to do that all the time but I notice things have to be very close to perfect for Breeze to understand the same things, so it is getting there with Miley, she is just so terrific it is going to be so awesome, it already is looking so good.

Natasha said...

I sure hope Wall-e has Miley's speed one day! (I know, this isn't the first time I've said that, lol.) Her DW was looking great!!

~Nat