Monday, July 19, 2010

Trial update

We went to a trial that was at night. It didnt really help with the heat. I have to say I dont think Ive ever been that hot. You felt ok if you were just sitting there but when you moved you were miserable. I made Miley get in the baby pool a couple of times. Poor Miley. The first time she didnt have her feet under her and went head first into the pool. Not good.
Our first run was PI gamblers. She ran great but didnt stop on the dogwalk but he didnt call it. She got the gamble and first place. But there werent many dogs in my class. But it was a very nice run. Nice a-frame and nice weaves.
Next was PI snooker. It didnt go well. She missed the a-frame contact and then went really wide. I couldnt remember what red jump I took and then we were off course. Miley was kinda wild on that run. We got whistled off.
Last was Speedjumping. It was around 10pm and the lights were on. Im not sure if she had trouble seeing but she dropped 3 bars. She got the first a-frame contact but missed the second one. I did a lead out lateral send to #2 and then front crossed b/t # 3 and #4. She dropped the #4 bar. Someone watching said it was a very nice cross and didnt know why she dropped the bar. I sent her to the tunnel and then front crossed b/t #6 and #7. I front crossed b/t #12 and #13. She missed the 2nd a-frame contact and went wide around #14 ( I didnt fix it) beautiful weaves. She ran really nice. I know it wasnt perfect and we didnt qualify but it felt like such a nice run. No craziness.




The next day we had PI standard. I didnt know if I should run this or not. I didnt want table stress. We did run it and she ran nice. I had her sit right next to the table. She had no problem with that. She didnt stop on the DW and missed the a-frame contact. Beginning to see a theme here?

Next was pairs. She wouldnt hold her start line. She just kept creeping. I was going to do a lead out pull but as I was leading out she just would stop moving forward. So I went over to the left and released her and then rear crossed #3. After the a-frame I was able to keep her out of the tunnel. She was flying but I called her off and did a front cross. Probably weird for most people to FC there because then I RC after she went into the tunnel. But if I didnt do that she would have gone off course into the tunnel. Anyway it worked and we "Q". The other girls dog ran nice on the 2nd half of the course.

After walking out of the pairs ring Miley wouldnt take any treats. Very weird. Then kept pulling to get away. Then diarrhea. Ugh. I didnt know she was feeling sick. She also was acting weird before the pairs run too. She wouldnt go into the trial area. I was walking her on the gravel road and was trying to get her to go back to the crating area and she just wouldnt. Someone said that she was fine yesterday so it must be the smoke. They were grilling hamburgers and there was all this smoke. Miley was freaked out. I move my crating stuff to the other side and then she seemed ok again.
I wasnt sure if I was going to run her in Grand Prix. I worked the championship class and it was tall to small. I forgot that then performance would be small to tall. I went to get Miley out of her crate and she took some treats and seemed ok. I was walking her and they said I was up. Oops, no warm up routine. So you can guess what happened. She wasnt wild like circling but I had to fight for every jump. She was wide alot and I had to really call her to get her to take the right obstacle. O,yea and I must have push to far forward because she took the a-frame for just a second instead of going in #2 tunnel.



Sunday morning was PII jumpers. All the dogs ran slow today. I think they were hot and tired. Last night ended about 11pm. Then this morning started at 8am. So not much down time. Miley sat at the start line and didnt move a muscle. Unusual for her. Usually she is in a down. And then she didnt run as fast as I was expecting. Usually she would just have enough momentum to carry out in the pinwheel but she didnt and I pulled her off jump #5. Otherwise it was a good run. No off courses. She dropped one bar. I started with a running front cross at #2. FC again b/t #6 and #7. FC again after #9 to keep her out of the tunnel that was straight in front of her. Then one more FC after #15. I got them all and they were good.
Things that were a big problem dogwalk and a-frame contacts. That killed us this weekend. She will either have to stop on both or run both because she just cant seem to differentiate between the two. Sorry no video, Stephanie has my camera.
Congrats you made it to the end of this post. LOL



7 comments:

Sara said...

It sounded to me like you had a lot more positives than negatives this weekend. No circling, and she sat next to the table. That's great. Congrats on your Q's!

Choosing one criteria for both contacts seems like a good idea. Although, I feel bad that you will have to deal with yet another training challenge.

Chris and Ricky said...

It does sound like the trial was a good experience even though it was so hot and so late in the evening! Hurray for no circling! Your handling sounded great and since you did all those front crosses, your were able to get ahead of Miley and keep giving her advance info on where to go. That's totally awesome! You should feel very proud of your handling!!

The DW and aframe - well, you would be disappointed if you didn't come away with something to work on - LOL!

Sam said...

I think sitting next to the table is HUGE news! With the heat, the stress of a trial, etc. it sounds like Miley really did have a good weekend.

Good luck on the contacts - gosh, they are my least favorite obstacle to train, contact criteria constantly keep my head spinning! I'm always so excited when I get to agility class and I see a Jumpers course set up.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

That's great news that she sat next to the table with no problems!

That sounds like a very stressful weekend. It's exhausting when you're home in the afternoon/early evening but ending at 11 pm and having to begin in the morning again is just crazy.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Congrats on your Q's. You know just that you did run and do so well was a huge win for the weekend, to run when you are so hot and the dogs do not feel like it and the handling and timing are all different because no one feels like running, I had no idea that would be as much of a challenge as it was. Sounds like a great trial all in all. Sounds like you got some good information on the contacts, so that was a really terrific thing to have gotten out of the trial. What a great idea to have Miley sit next to the table, sounds like that worked really well for this trial

Natasha said...

Sounds like a great trial with a lot of good points! Contacts can be overwhelming. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Wall-e gets freaked out about smoke too. Mika is totally fine with it. Weird!

Dawn said...

Congratulations on the Q's AND on the pretty much under control dog AND the sitting next to the table AND the no circling!

Sounds very positive!