Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer storms




These pictures arent to great but you know it can be dangerous to go out in a storm and take pictures. So the tops of houses are in there. I just thought the clouds looked neat.

Yesterday I took Miley to a friends yard that she has never been to before. I want to start taking her different places and on different dogwalks. She did fine at the new place. I had my son run on the other side of the dogwalk from me, nope Miley did perfect. Had him run in front of the contact when she came down, nope , no problem. Had him put this bunny toy that she really likes and pull it off the contact, nope, she stuck it. I put an open target plate passed the dogwalk with open food. Nope she stuck it. I moved the target a little closer thinking she couldnt see it. She stretched all the way, as far as she could with her back feet still on the contact and got the treats off the target. But she didnt release herself. I moved the target just a little farther away. Nope, she stuck it. LOL O'well. I try some more things. Maybe taking a dustbuster out at the dogwalk will add the excitement I need.

Today I took her new bunny toy out to practice. Miley usually doesnt like being rewarded with a toy. She likes food. But she really likes this new bunny toy, so I thought I would try it. She did really well for it. But she was over the top excited. Im not sure if it was the toy or not having food. I think having food keeps her focused. So she kept breaking her start line. We were only working jump grids, so nothing really exciting, well at least to me. Apparently Miley thought it was great. So after a few times of throwing the toy behind her and releasing her to it, she seem to settle down. So do you think my problems at trials is from being overly excited or not having food in the ring????

6 comments:

Sam said...

Those are some crazy clouds! It hasn't been a particularly stormy summer here in New York - all we've had is disgusting heat and humidity.

Nice work on the dog walk. I hope that once she's at a trial, she'll stick to the contact there, too.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

maybe working with toys like the rabbit toy will help her handle being over excited in the ring???? seems like if you got that reaction and she was having a hard time handling it that might be just the ticket. Glad you did not stay out too long in that storm ;-)

Sara said...

Interesting concept!

Oreo is like Miley, he becomes more focused when food is around. Crazy lunatic with toys.

You should be a detective. Your brain is always hunting for clues & problem solving!

Chris and Ricky said...

How cool that you are taking Miley to different places to do the dogwalk! Glad to hear she did so well.

My guess is that Miley is over-excited at trials more than worried about you not having food in the ring, but only Miley knows for sure! :)

Jules said...

Interesting that you comment you think food calms her down/focuses her. Tracy Sklenar refers to food treats as “doggie valium.” I have heard other trainers who deal with reactive/over stimulated dogs say the same thing – so it might very well calm her down/focus her.

It sounds like the bunny toy could really help you move forward if she is that excited about it.

Dawn said...

Hopefully the bunny calms her down some, so funny that she does everything fine at home, and at strange places but then goes bozo at trials! She is so interesting!