Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday

Saturday went much better. Still no "Q"'s. Of course I had to walk both rings at the same time. But because I wasnt going to do the table in Standard, I wasnt to worried about it. Plus it was pretty straight forward. I really needed to walk Jumpers because it looked like a tough course. I was suppose to be in the second walk-thur, they split the 12inch dogs because the trial was so big. But then I realized I would be running standard when my walk thur was suppose to be. So I walked first. I continued walking when the judge in the Jumpers ring was giving the briefing. I know that's rude but I didn't have a choice because they were already starting in Standard ring and I was the 12th dog in the ring. I ran and got Miley and went to the other ring. I was able to go outside and warm her up, do the practice jump and stretch her too. We had a good run, no zommies.
">

It was suppose to be a-frame to the table but I put her through the tunnel instead. Im not sure why she questioned going in the 2nd tunnel. Then I rear crossed the triple, might as well work on that since we cant "Q". And she didnt drop a bar. WhooHoo. It felt like a great run. Someone came up to me and said "Great run, you must have "Qed". I laughed. I said we didnt do the table. She laughed then and said, "I didnt even realize it".

Next was our Jumpers run. Here's the course map.


I first walked it starting on the right and then rear crossing after #4. But then I realized that I would be behind her and I needed to be in front to cue the correct tunnel entrance. I had planned on being before jump #8 so I could get her head coming out of the tunnel. But she was running fast, and I really had to run full out (at least for me) to be able to cue that correct tunnel entrance. To do that I layered the jump , which worked but I wasnt able to get her head coming out of the tunnel and she went off course. Of course then she ran around me a couple of time before I got her back. The rest of the run was awesome. When I watch the video it cracks me up. I know Ive said this before but I felt like I was running as hard as I could and it just doesnt look like it on the video. LoL. But I got all the front crosses in. WhooHoo and she did the weaves even with me starting to pull away to make the front cross. Our time was 30 seconds which I felt was pretty good considering the lap she took after the off course.



">

It was now only 9am. Our next run, Excellent Fast, wasnt until 6:30pm. There was no way I was waiting around for that. I decided to go home. I dont run Sunday until 1pm. Plus I needed to get home and talk to my son about the importance of doing well at college . And inform him of the reality he will face if he doesnt do well. A dog not doing the table is nothing compared to a son not doing well in college. Its been causing me a lot of stress and worry. You start to question what you did wrong as a parent when they dont get their act together. Ugh! Im not sure if I will be going back tomorrow. Its a 2 hour drive to the site. It will depend on how I feel tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for your supportive comments for the last 2 days. It's really helped me.

9 comments:

Sam said...

It really is amazing how confident and collected she looks when there isn't a table to worry about. Have you tried any of the venues without a table? (NADAC, CPE) I think it would do you both some good to go out and run clean at trials without having to worry about skipping the table or anything.

Sorry to hear about your son. Don't question your parenting - I was just talking to someone from my club today who's having problems with her daughter. It happens, and sometimes it's out of your control. Hope things aren't too bad.

Sara said...

Miley's weaves in her jumpers run were awesome! Wow. Even when she went circling, she was right on track after she came back. It is good that she isn't shutting down on you after the circling. I saw a lot of dogs do that yesterday.

I think there is something wrong with our video cameras....they make us look like we are running slower than we are. Why am I always out of breath after our run, if I am going that slow? Camera must be broken! LOL.

Freshman year in college is a HUGE adjustment. Don't blame yourself. Motivation needs to come from within. I hope your son improves this semester.

Good luck today.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sara is always so good at leaving comments and if I get here after her, I always feel like I should just say, Ditto what Sara said!

I was going to remark about how beautiful Miley's weaves were in the JWW run too! I like that course - lots of flow in the beginning and you did really well to stay ahead of her - it was a great run! The standard was good too (AKC should just get rid of the table altogether - it slows the whole thing down too much - send them your video of how great the run is without a table - LOL!)

Good luck with your son - I think freshman year in college is really tough and hopefully you'll be able to help him out.

Unknown said...

Well done to both of you. You make such a good team :)

Dawn said...

Since MY dog is still deciding if she will even touch the dogwalk, I have no agility advice! LOL! But I do know that freshman year at college is a major challenge. Maybe it's just a year too early for him to start, maybe he needs to work for a year and then try again. Sometimes a dose of reality restarts the motivation. Or maybe he's feeling out of place, or overwhelmed and just needs some additional support. Good luck with figuring it all out; it's a really important time in his life.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

That looked really great-Miley is so beautiful running and I sure would have hated to wait for that fast run, that is wild having to wait that long for the last run, I would have left too, LOL.

Easier for me to say when it is not my kid but I think that sort of thing is something EVERYONE goes through with their kids in one manner or another, part of the growing up process, the only other thing you could have done is do everything for him and that would not be good for him at all in the long run, so there comes a day he has to be the one to really pick up the ball and run, or not, and you are being a good parent to let him make those decisions while the stakes are not as high as they might be in a few years. I bet you are handling it just fine because I know how much you care and I would be willing to bet money your son knows it too. It is very obvious you are a good and caring mom.

Marie said...

You and Miley looked really good in both of these runs. I'm glad you were able to get a couple runs in to leave the trial on a good note.

I don't have any kids, so I just admire anyone that does take on that challenge. I can't even imagine how much stress I would feel in your position. I hope your talk with him goes well! :-)

Morganne said...

What awesome runs!
AKC is considering going to a positionless table (I think will be voted on in April). The reason is to speed up a trial as well as possibly get ready for electronic table count. It will probably pass (according to all my judge friends). Do you think this might help Miley in the future? If she can simply jump on and stand on the table for a 5 second count? Not asked to do a down or sit?

Lian said...

Miley look awesome in both runs! My thought about her refusing the 2nd tunnel, I think you were hesitate and holding a step back that put her off? I wonder if you go with her or just another step forward, she will be in the tunnel already. I know it is hard when you have a fast dog like that, you always wanted to be in the next obstacle to cue.