Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mat work

The weather is not nice here today. Its been pouring down rain and the temps are at 33. So no snow for us. My yard is just the biggest mud pit and I'm not sure if its ever going to recover. So since I'm bored, I decided to take Miley up to Pet Smart and work on her mat. She doesn't like Pet Smart. She seem really nervous there. This always surprises me. How does she go to agility trials where she doesn't show any outward signs of being nervous. But Pet Smart, less people, less dogs, more stress. Anyway, I figured it would be a good place to do mat work. She did really well. My only problem is she is starting to crawl forward to get the treat. Maybe I need to work closer to her until she stops doing that. I don't want her crawling on the table. The videos are loaded backwards. The second one was done before the first one.




Here are some pictures from this morning. I thought it looked like Christmas lights on the trees. Its the only pretty thing out there, LoL

Photobucket">

Photobucket">

11 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Wow - those trees are so pretty!

Great idea going to PetSmart to work on the mat with Miley! She looks awesome! I agree you don't want her crawling towards you. Do you sometimes release her and treat her off the mat or does the protocol say only treat on the mat?

Diana said...

Hey Ricky,From what I understand , all treats are on the mat. Diana

Dawn said...

Wow! Good idea going to PetCo! I never would have thought of that, though I've done distracted heeling work there and at Pet Supplies Plus. I can see she keeps looking over her left shoulder at something. Were people watching her work?

The trees are beautiful; yes it does look like tiny little white Christmas tree lights! And you don't have to spend time taking down the lights later in the season either! Win win!

Diana said...

Dawn, I dont think anyone was watching. Someone was over to the side with a dog talking to someone else. There was rescue group there. Diana

LauraK said...

glad you got some good practice in! those tree pictures are really neat :)

Sara said...

I'm really impresssed that Miley was able to do that at petsmart. That place is such a weird environment for dogs, horrible lighting, tall ceiling, music playing...Great idea.

The trees look pretty, sorry about your mudpit.

Marie said...

Diana, when I did mat work with Rogue I had the same problem with her starting to move when she anticipated the treat coming. The way that I fixed it was that I would stop any forward movement towards her if she moved towards me, or even take a step backwards again. The only way I would come in with the treat is if she stayed still.

I think she did really well being able to work at the Petsmart. That is a stressful environment for my dogs too.

Blue said...

She is doing great. I've been working on go to mat with Iris, but we haven't done anywhere as distracting as PetsMart. Good job Miley!

Sam said...

It's awesome to see her working in Petsmart - we pretty much gave up on going there at all a few months ago.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I like the idea of stopping going toward Miley if she starts creeping forward. You could also make the criteria that her whole body is on the mat. I bet if she gets the mat thing down and learning she has to wait until she is released that will give you a big bonus on the start line too!!!!!!!!! Looks like she is doing GREAT.

Lian said...

I am surprised that you are allow to train dog in pet smart. That's a good idea but you can see Miley is very stress. Great job to get her doing the mat work.