Saturday, January 23, 2010

Friday

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me. I guess really the last two days have been that way. I ran Miley in Open standard. The table was right in front of the a-frame. It would be hard for me to walk it without her feeling like she wasnt suppose to go there. So I sent her and when you watch the video you will see she really avoids it. So then she got the zoomies. I first tried to get her back into the weave poles which were right after the table. But it was stressing her. So I went for the next jump. She got back on track and finished nicely. When I left the ring this guy said to me, "what a really nice dog". Then through out the day different people came up to me telling me what a great dog I have. "She fast", I would love to have your dog, What a great dog". I know people were just being nice. But I took it as, great dog, to bad you suck as a handler. I realize this was all me, no one made me feel this way but I just couldnt shake it. Why were they saying she was great when she is zooming around the ring?






>">
Something is wrong with blogger and it keeps deleting the begining of my post.






Then was Excellent Jumpers. She broke her start line. But I was able to get back on track even though I wasnt in the right place. She got the correct tunnel entrance. Then took an off course. Ive only watch the video once but it looks like I cued her correctly. It was probably late. Then she went over the correct jump and I sent her off course with and arm fling. Ugh! I got her back again. She popped out of the last pole. Our finish was sloppy.

">





After that I went to see an animal communicator. Im not sure I believe in animal communicators but I thought it was worth a shot to figure out the table issues. She told me Miley is sensitive. That she could take or leave trials. She likes the work but not the atmosphere ( all the dogs and people). That when she is in the ring, she feels like she is alone. When she is running she feels ok. But when she has to stop for the table, she feels the overwhelming feeling of the atmosphere that she doesnt like. Then she said, its like if you go to a party and your arent a social person. That feeling you get, feeling so uncomfortable. OMG. I hate going to social events. All I think about when Im there is "Can I go home now". Every time we have to go to a function for my husband job, it just stresses me out. This made me feel terrible. Thats what Im doing to me dog? Crap! So after that we left and went to a park for a long walk. Then we went back because we still had Excellent Fast to run. I got something to eat. Which I then realized it had been 8 hours since I ate. That could be why I was feeling so emotional. I felt much better emotionally after eating. I had lots of leg pain yesterday and couldnt get it under control. Nothing I did helped. (medicine, rest, walking). I finally broke down and took my Lyrica. I dont like that medicine because it makes me tired. After a while I feel like Im lugging an extra 20 lbs around with me. But it did help my legs feel better before the last run.

We ran Excellent Fast. It was fun, well mostly. I started with the weave poles. She popped out at pole four. Then I did the worse thing for her. I stopped. She started running big circles around the ring. Im not sure how but I told her "climb" and started running. Some how she pulled in and got on the a-frame. The rest of the run was beautiful. She even go the distance bonus with the correct tunnel entrance. We didnt "Q" because we only got 56 points and we needed 60. But she was awesome. We I left the ring someone said, "Great run". Later when I was cooling her down, someone else said, "She was on fire". Sorry, no video. Here's the course map and how I ran it.

Saturday was a better day. I will post that later.

13 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

the JWW course esp looked really awesome, Miley is really reading the lines really well very impressive and she looks so happy and fast!!! Those are some killer weaves. You gave her nice early cues so she looked very confident, great run!

Sara said...

Miley is a great dog, but no one would know that if you hadn't put in all that hard work training her. I know I couldn't run her.

I hope you're feeling better.

I don't think I'll ever see an animal communicator, because then I'd never leave the house with Oreo! LOL.

Chris and Ricky said...

I don't think people are saying Miley is a great dog and you're not a good handler! I think people are genuinely impressed by Miley and by your handling and that they know she is not an easy dog to run and they see the huge potential in what a great team you two are now and will be in the future! I am constantly awed by the effort you put into training Miley and by the successes you do have even if they sometimes seem to you to be obscured by the challenges you have with a high-drive Sheltie. I am glad people recognize great runs and great dogs and great handlers even if things don't go 100% as planned!!

The animal communicator thing is very interesting - not sure how I feel about it either or how much stock I would put in what they say.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

Thanks for posting the videos.

I understand having the emotional agility day. But I think they really meant that she's a great, fast dog, without meaning anything about you as a handler. Handlers don't cause zoomies, really. It's not like an off course or even a knocked bar, zoomies are just on the dog.

I think you guys are awesome.

Natasha said...

Try not to be so hard on yourself, although I definitely know that it's not as simple to do that as it sounds! :) You're doing a great job with Miley, and although we all make mistakes, we also learn from them, which you are. I think you're doing great. I'm sure you've heard this before, but struggles are learning experiences. And we all experience hills and valleys...even if you're experiencing a valley, things will go uphill. Think of the challenges you've been through in the past that you've overcome. You can do it this time, too! :)

A lot of people wouldn't even recognize that when their dog doing zoomies she's stressing. Some people just say, "she's blowing me off." You know that Miley isn't doing that. That's really something to be grateful for, that you have that knowledge.

Anyway, great runs!!

OBay Shelties said...

I have spoken to an animal communicator before and she was so right on that I was too scared to ever do it again! haha

I have some ideas for you if you want to email me directly as I don't want to sound stupid in public. LOL

LauraK said...

I would never in a million years call you a bad handler! I've always enjoyed watching you and Miley run because you are so calm and she's a fast little girl! Don't let it get you too down- we all go through emotional days. Hang in there- I think you're doing a great job with her :)

Jules said...

Sometimes it is easy to get overwhelmed by everything we feel we aren't doing right and that we aren't a fair partner to our dog. I think we have all been there. I don't think people would bother to tell you what a nice dog you have if you were doing such a terrible job - because SHE wouldn't be doing as well as she is. I can't wait to read about Saturday - I am glad it went better!

Anonymous said...

People don't say "nice dog" to handlers they think suck. We all know "nice dogs" don't just happen, so when someone tells you "nice dog" they are actually complimenting you and your traning! Miley might be having the zoomies about the table, but you guys do have the makings of being a great team, and great teams just take a little longer to put together. You have no idea how much I would love to trade "issues" with you right now!

Dawn P said...

I haven't caught up on all of your posts and videos but seriously I know how you feel. Great dog. Yes, you know she's great but when you come out of the ring, it feels like the Empire State Building. Honestly, at least in NJ, people don't say great dog unless they mean it. Because believe you me, if they think you and your dog suck, they'll say it to your face or not say anything at all. So take it as a compliment. :)

Marie said...

I think that people tell you Miley is a great dog because that's what they really think. I know that for me though, I tend to downplay when people say something nice, even when I'm feeling good. If I'm feeling emotional or down, it's even harder to take compliments in the manner they were intended.

Dawn P said...

Can Miley bark at you on the table. Whisper hates the table for that reason, holy crap, dogs and people staring at her. She plays these barking games. I'd never lead out from the table because I don't want her to feel vulnerable like that. So she barks and barks and I stay VERY still so she doesn't take off like a rocket. It works for us.

Lian said...

Hi Diana, you are a great handler. To train Miely is a hard work and you did really well.

I know the table issue is bothering you, just like me and Saturn, we can never get the contacts right. We need to find out the exact problem and train hard on it. There must be a breaking point somewhere, we just need soemone to point it out to us and try to fix it.

Miley is a great dog and you are a great handler! I love watching you two, you always inspire me! When I am emotional and down, I always come to your blog and watch your videos, then I told myself: Look! If Miley can do it, I can do it!

Keep up the good work! You are a great person!