Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Practice

I decided I needed to take some jumps out to the baseball field. I need to run her in areas that have more room. I think I get use to running her in smaller places and then when we get to a trial and its so open, I can't judge when I need to cue her.
I only have 7 jumps that I can transport. Man, that's a lot of work. Loading up the bag of jumps and poles and then setting it up. So I first set up a run where I would have to front cross. I wanted to practice what I messed up at the last trial. Here are the jumps I set up. I'm not sure this is exactly right but its close.



I had a very hard time getting her to turn from #3 to #4. She either went on to the off course jump or I pulled her off to soon. We did get it a few times but we will have to practice some more to get it the first time.

">
I only posted one of the good runs. But as you can see, she still goes wide so my cues are late.

Then we practice rear crosses. It only took 3 runs to get it right. And as you can see , she zigs and zags at that 4th jump.


">

I can see why they dont want people running their dogs on the baseball fields. There was dog poop every where. If your going to let your dog run in the baseball field, pick up after it. I picked up a bunch, yuck!

I called the vet today. They said they already have someone to adopt the Yorkie. She promised me that it was a good home and I didn't need to worry. She hinted it was one of the vets. So that made me feel better.

The schedule is out for next weekends AKC trail OMG, its packed. I'm going to the b-match on Thursday and then entered Friday-Sunday. When I looked at the schedule, Friday looks ok. But then Saturday, My first run is at 8am, my next run around 9am and then the last run is after 6:30 at night. What?? Then Sunday, I don't run until after 1pm. Hmmm. I'm thinking of not doing the Saturday night run and driving home. Then driving back for my afternoon runs on Sunday. Its a 2 hour drive each way, but that's a lot of down time.

8 comments:

Sam said...

Yeah -- I, too, am kind of worried about doing all of this practice indoors, and then having to go back out onto the field in the spring. I wonder how Marge will be!

Sara said...

All the baseball fields around here have signs that say "no dogs allowed". I guess that's why, some people are irresponsible, and ruin it for us. I thought Miley looked great.

That seems like a really long wait between runs, especially if the trial isn't running on time. What a bummer.

Chris and Ricky said...

I thought Miley looked good out there too - it is terrible that people don't pick up their dog's poop. It's worse in the wintertime here - it's like people think no one else will be out with their dog and by spring the poop will have disintegrated. But other people are out with their dogs!

Your Sat. trial schedule sound horrible - way too much down time. Maybe your idea of going home is a good one.

manymuddypaws said...

the rear cross one she actually turns on your lifted arm, not the movement of your body, which is probably why she zig zags....

the front cross looked okay, a bit late, but that is a lot of distance to cover for you...

Morganne said...

Great drills! What I do sometimes when I practice rear crosses is not use my arms - just lateral motion (into the dog). I want my dogs cueing off my motion first.

Good idea to get out and train in more open space. I bet Miley enjoyed it too.

LauraK said...

Looks like you had a fun practice- that rear cross drill looks like a great one!

Good luck at your trial and figuring out what to do- that's definitely one thing I hate about agility is the waiting around all day :)

Lian said...

I wish I can pack all the jumps and take it to a field to practice. Lucky you!

Miley looks great and she is always so enthusiasm about her agility.

Glad the Yorkie found her new home.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

You are a dedicated trainer, hauling all your jumps out there is a lot of work. That second video esp looks terrific, Miley is really working distance nicely and looks so confident, the first one she was doing great too, she really reads you well. I LOVE Miley