Friday, January 29, 2010

Consistency - Table

I haven't done any agility all week. Not one thing. Amazing! I am doing the mat work. Ive done it everyday except yesterday when I was down and out. Right now I'm standing still and sending her to the mat. She can be a pretty far distance away and drive to the mat. Im just saying "go". I haven't named the mat yet. We need a lot more training before that happens. Ive been trying to take the mat different places to make sure she can do the behavior every where. The place she is struggling is at home in the morning. When its time to eat breakfast Miley is very excited. Runs around barking and running, happy as can be. Ive tried using the mat to give her breakfast and she just cant get it. I usually feed her in the crate. We always do the same procedure. I get the food ready. Put Guiness in his crate. Put Miley in her crate. Make her wait with the food bowl in the crate. Then release to eat. Then I lock the crate. Then the chihuahuas get their bowls. Miley just doesnt understand the change in routine. She sits, lies down, sits again all in front of her crate. The mat is close to the crate. So if she accidental walks over it, I c/t with the breakfast. I dont know if she is just to excited or if she doenst understand the change. So Ive stopped trying for now and will try again after I think she has had more time to practice.
Next Ive been reading, "The other end of the leash". Right now its all about our body cues and what we are telling our dogs with our cues. It got me thinking and I rewatched a bunch of my videos with the table. Do you know what? I have no consistency going to the table. Sometimes I run straight at it, shoulders square. Sometimes, Im running to the side of it. Sometimes I run straight at it but my shoulder are turned . Sometimes I stop 3-4 feet from the table, sometimes I run all the way up to the table. So if my dog is look for body cues, Im not giving any consistent ones. Nothing that she can say, "oh, I know whats coming". Can anyone tell me if you always run the same way to the table and its just me thats doing this craziness? Thanks.

10 comments:

Sam said...

You mention she has trouble with it during feeding time because she's excited -- is it the same thing that's occurring while she's doing agility? I always thought it was a stress thing, but maybe she's just really excited?

Diana said...

Sam, I think it started out as excitment and turned to stress. Diana

manymuddypaws said...

i don't think consistency to the table is possible really, or the issue. as with all equipment sometimes you need to approach it from different angles, at different speed.

i think it is more about fluency- as in the dog should know no matter what, when or where what to do with the table.

Miley is very obviously stressed about the table, caused by excitement at first no doubt. I think that you are doing all the right things but need to continue to break it down and make sure she is the one making the choice to go on the mat, or the table. The clicker and shaping games will help that but it will be a slow process.

She'll get it though- remember your frustration with her contacts- that came along just fine when you stopped rushing and worrying. :o)

Sara said...

I read that book years ago. I think I need to reread it, now that I have Oreo. I may learn something new.

I think Miley watches you constantly for cues, so you could be on to something.

Chris and Ricky said...

We dogs don't like any changes in our meal routine, that's for sure! I would look at mom like she had lost her mind if she changed the way she feeds me! LOL!

About running to the table - we never really thought about it before. Maybe the way you present the table to Miley does make a difference to her. Glad to hear she is doing well with her mat work!

Natasha said...

Mat work is great. I love CU! I think the mat will help Miley with her table when she gets the consistency with the mat. She'll get it!!

I watched different training sessions and runs with the table in it. I seem to run up to the table differently depending on the dog. With Mika I seem to run up to the the table and stop a little bit past it, facing the same direction Mika's facing. With Wall-e I seem to do the same thing, but I turn around and face him. Interesting!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

When I send my dogs to the table I do have to always be showing forward motion toward the table because I have taught so much using body motion that it pulls them off if I stop or head away, or lack committment but I am not sure if my feet have to be pointed there and I would be willing to bet my body is not always looking the same, but by george now I might have to pull out our old videos....

Dawn said...

I have no advice. Only kudos to you for all the work and thought you give to Miley. She's a better agility dog, and a better dog in general, because you take so much time with her.

Anonymous said...

Totally depends on our approach to the table- straight on, on a curve, with tons of speed or already very collected. I cue the degree of collection I think my dog needs the same way I do over jumps- hanging back to get them to pull up, facing them to REALLY collect up. To proof the table (since Spy has had table faults in our past two standard runs), I'm doing run by's in training- I keep running full speed ahead while the dog is expected to hold the table- just like proofing contacts. I love hearing their nails straining to stick to the table (mine is mini- only 2' x 2' wide!) as I cue full extension onto it. They're really starting to get it... and Marron finds it highly motivational!

Dawn P said...

Whisper does the same thing with routine change. Sometimes I close the door of the crate and she keeps bonking it with her nose. Morning time is a good time to practice but maybe before or after breakfast first. This is still new for her.