Thursday, January 21, 2010

B-awful

So we got to the b-match by 12noon. Its hard to believe that the last 2 days have been sunny and 70. Now its raining and 36 degrees. And everything is a mud mess. The run through went quickly because there weren't that many dogs running. They had 2 ring with the same course, so that helped too. My plan was run with Miley's leash on to the table. Then run out of the ring and give her a treat. ( no treats are allowed in the ring). My first run we did this several times. She was pulling on the leash to the table. So I took the leash off and started and she jumped right on the table. We did a couple of jumps and then left the ring. OK, that was good, right? Just wait. I decided to go over to the other ring and run there. I did the same thing and she did well. We did another run and I decided not to use a leash. She jumped on and off the table and then ran huge laps around the ring. I got her back and did a another sequence and again when it got to the table, jumped on and off the huge laps around me. I couldn't get her back and walked out of the ring. She came running after me. I picked her up and put her in her crate. Then I left the building. I was so upset. I guess I thought she needed to understand that I want her to get on the table and once she did that things would be fixed. LOL , I know silly. It didnt break in a day and wont get fixed in a day. I went and got some lunch. I called my husband and said I was coming home. I didn't need to waste all this money when my dog wont even get on the table. Im at a complete lose on how to fix it. Just wanted to give up on agility all together. My husband was very nice and told me to just run the jumpers run tomorrow. All this for one run. Not! Then I called Meagan. She was very nice and told me to go back and run another run. Don't put Miley on the table. Walk a course without a table. Then really reward her at the end. We did this and she was awesome. Fast and perfect , even the weaves. WhooHoo. I really needed that mentally. It made running fun. Then Meagan wanted me to run again. Put Miley one jump in front of the table. I did this, Miley wouldnt get on and did a lap around me. I got her back on course came back around and tried the table again. No go, running laps around me. Ugh! I couldnt get her back and ran out of the ring. Miley came to me. I took her my the colar ( not mean) and brought her to the table and made her get on. I praised her.( I had a tug n treat bag with me hoping that would get her on the table. It didnt work). So after I made her get on the table. I sent her to a jump, had her wrap it and back on the table. She did it! I opened the treat bag on the table. It had on piece of liverwurst in it and I let her eat it. ( I know it was against the rules to have a treat in the ring but at this point I didnt care anymore). Then we left the ring and had a party. We didnt do any more runs. I took her out to the barn and threw the chuck-it. I think she had a lot of pent up energy. It was kinda dark but we did it for about 20 minutes. This dog is never tired.

8 comments:

Sam said...

Man, I'm so sorry about your ongoing table issues. What the heck is it about the table that she doesn't like? The way you describe her zooming around sounds like she's having a stress reaction - but what could possibly be stressing about the table?

Here's just a long shot - but have you ever tried doing some parts of the Relaxation Protocol with her while she's on the table?

Sara said...

Wow, you must have been exhausted after that day. How frustrating.

I'm glad you were able to end on a positive note and broke the rules! Good for you.

Dawn said...

Miley, Miley, Miley. What's your other going to do about you and that darn table? I think somebody's idea that he doesn't want to stop on the table is probably true. She just loves to go go go go go!

Morganne said...

Does she do this at home or just at matches and trials? Are YOU stressing a little about the table? Anticipating? Maybe she is picking up on a little bit of stress behavior from you?

Nicki said...

Do some NADAC, there is no table-that way you can still get ring experience and practice some stuff while you work on the table at home. Also NADAC trials are very relazed and even allow training in the ring.

Marie said...

I'm sorry that the b-match didn't go like you had hoped. I'm glad you did have some successes though and were able to treat her in the ring. I hope that helps. Sometimes it is just soo frustrating when you can't see a reason for why the dogs are doing or choosing not to do something. I think you'll figure it out though. Just hang in there!

Chris and Ricky said...

I agree - just hang in there. Try not to stress so much about it. Maybe there is a game to play with Miley on the table that you haven't done yet and it might be the answer. You will figure it out, I am sure!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Has to be so frustrating that Miley has got what ever idea she has in her head and is avoiding the table--excellent idea to leave and just have a huge party when she finally was on the table.