Saturday, January 9, 2010

Great dog,

to bad the the handler is stupid. Sorry, I know thats really negative but its the truth. I did something really stupid at the show and go. Ugh!



I didnt wimp out and went to the show and go. It was still freezing outside. It never got out of the 30's and the wind was blowing. I should have had a better plan in my mind so I wouldnt easily be made to change my plan. Maybe my brain wasnt getting good blood flow because my blood had thicken from the cold. Yea , that's it. LoL. Anyway I ran my first run. She popped out of the last weave pole so I didnt get my front cross in. Then she did a nice a-frame, no creeping. And then she jumped right on the table. I should have run from the ring and gave her a jack pot. Did I, no. I gave her verbal prasie. Then when the judge was counting, Miley lifted her elbows off the table. Maybe at the #1 count. The judge person said to me, "you really need to make her put her elbows down". Why o why didnt I tell her thats not what Im working on. So I told Miley "down " again and she jumped off thinking I was saying "ok". Then I make and even bigger mistake and try to put her back on. Then the circling started. So I finish the run ,which beside the mistake I did , I thought went well. And as I was fininshing, again the judge person said ,"you really should go around again and get her to do the poles correctly". And I listened to her again. OMG, I need my head examed.
">




So what do you think happend on the second run? Yep, she didnt even jump on and off, she just refused. You can watch the video for the rest of the crash and burn. There were good things and yes I noticed them. But I was there to work on the table.




"> <

10 comments:

Sara said...

The problem with agility events is everyone has an opinion about what you should be doing with your dog, and they always SHARE it! That's one of the reasons why I haven't always met Oreo at the end of the tunnel, because I know people will say, "Why are you doing that? You know he's going to come out the other end!" I guess it is in our nature to want to "follow directions".

Don't beat yourself up too much. You did get a lot of table practice in. Miley did get another good table at the end of the first run.

Morganne said...

You're doing an awesome job and only you know your dog. Don't listen to anyone who thinks they need to tell you how to run Miley.

I had some big ego WT wannabe tell me I should have left the course with Summit this morning because he released himself from the startline before I said OK (I got the lead out and he released when I raised my arm). He hasn't done this in over a year. I let it go and continued. I know my dog and in Jumpers this afternoon, his startline stay was perfect.

Marie said...

Don't feel too bad. I don't think it makes you a bad handler, just makes you human like the rest of us. I have one training day in mind that I will never forget. I did not to stand up for what I knew my dog needed because I really admired and respected respect the trainer I was working with. I left that day feeling literally sick and so angry with myself. It was aweful.

The positive thing is that it's a lesson you don't quickly forget. It'll be easier next time to stand up for what you know your dog needs from you.

Chris and Ricky said...

We've definitely been there too where someone tells you to do something and you do it and know it wasn't the right thing for your dog but you do it any way. You have told us many times lesson learned now let it go. So try not to feel bad.

Every time I see anything about training the table, I think of you and Miley - :) Did you see this post -

http://gonetothedogagility.blogspot.com/2010/01/table-protocol.html

I didn't really read it but maybe there is something in it for you?

Diana said...

Thanks guys. Diana

OBay Shelties said...

It is so hard not to listen to people who are genuinely trying to help. I often really have to try and bite my tongue and remind myself that if someone is not "paying" me they don't want to really hear my opinion.

I know I go into a zone when I run and even when I train so I cannot even hear what someone else is saying which is sometimes a good thing! Try to Learn to just smile and not make eye contact and just focus on your dog; the person will understand if they are dog people and you can always say "Thanks" anyway later. (gosh that was a run on sentence!) Believe in your own training! You have done a great job so far.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

I know you were there to work the table, but I just have to say, that's one of the best dog walks I've ever seen.

Everyone loves to give their opinion - regardless of whether or not they know how you train, what you're training, and sometimes they haven't even met you before. I was at an obedience match with my Malamute, and someone came up to me and said that I'm going to have to start ear-pinching her to get her to learn the retrieve. First of all, we're not even showing in Novice yet, and second, I've already taught her the retrieve withOUT using that method. We weren't retrieving anything, it was just some random, unsolicited "advice", because apparently "no Mals can learn anything without physical force."

I don't think you need your head examined - I think the general public does!

Keep up the great work with her - she obviously loves agility, she obviously loves you and doing things with you, so it's just a matter of time before it all comes together the way that you want it to.

Nicki said...

It's easy to be hard on yourself. Just let it be a learning experience that you need to focus on what is best for YOUR dog and only YOU know what that is. People will always suggest things for you to try or do and sometimes they are good ideas, but others are just not right for you and your dog. Live and learn!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Hey, unfortunately we have all been there and it is hard when you are out and someone says what they think in the middle of when you are trying to work, it is hard to dismiss it, esp when it feels like there is a lot going on at one time so hard to weigh everything out right there on the spot.

Dawn said...

So sorry that it didn't go the way you wanted it to. Darn those other people! LOL!