Friday, January 15, 2010

Made it

No sleeping in for me today. Since I was coming to North Carolina and Sheltie Rescue needed to transport a dog, I decided to help out. I needed to pick the dog up by 7:30 this morning. After I picked the dog up, I went back home and loaded the car. I put the rescue sheltie in the bigger crate and Miley in the smaller one. I thought she might be put out that another dog was in her crate but she didn't seem to care. I got the dog transferred and continued on my trip. We got to Durham about an hour before our appointment. So we walked the fields around the club that is hosting the seminar. I decided to try and get some pictures. During one of them , my foot got caught and I fell hard to the ground. Like the true photographer I am ( just kidding), my only thought was for Miley not to move from her spot so I could still get the shot. LoL She didnt move, but I didnt like the picture after I saw it on the computer. Needless to say tonight my whole body hurts. Im to old to fall to the ground.
.Photobucket">

This second picture is the one I fell down on.
.Photobucket">

.Photobucket">

We saw Debbie Gross Sanders for our appointment. I told her I didnt think miley was hurt but told about the change in her a-frame performance. She asked me lots of questions about what I feed her, how much and what type of exercise I do. How much agility practice we do a week. She asked about the other dogs in the house and how Miley interacts with them. Then she had me gait Miley. First walking , then running. Then she had Miley play with a toy, fetch and retrieve it. Miley's funny. She would go get the toy and the go really wide so not to get near Debbie at all to bring me the toy. LoL Then she felt Miley's structure. She said Miley had a very nice front. She said lots of shelties have terrible front but Miley's is very nice. Everything felt good. She didnt think Miley was injured. But she did feel Miley is tight in her lower back. She gave me exercises to do with her to stretch her out. She wants me to teach Miley to weave around my legs and add that to our warm up before running agility. She wants me to do very slow hill walking to help her back and thighs. She doesn't like a 2o/2o for Miley which could be making her back tight. I told her I had tried running contact but Miley jumped off from really high. She thinks I should do 4 on the floor. Im not sure what I think about this.
After the appointment I took Miley to a park. I figured a long walk would help her settle when we get back to the hotel. NOT!

Here are some of the pictures.

Photobucket">

Photobucket">

Photobucket">

11 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

the picture of Miley on the rock (the first one of that series, third from the bottom) is seriously stunning.

hands down my most favorite photo of Miley ever....

good news about not being injured!

LauraK said...

Great pictures- such a beautiful area you live in :) Hope those exercises help Miley!

Sam said...

Awesome pictures and interesting stuff about Miley. As you know I'm retraining my A-Frame contact (that I'm not sure was ever there to begin with) so I'll be interested to hear what you decide!

Lian said...

Lovely pictures! Sorry you have to pay the price for it. Hopefully you are not too painful now.

Miely's case sounds exactly like Sing. Sing got hurt doing 2o/2o on the A Frame a few years back (when he first started doing agility) and this is why I decided to do running with him. It took me 18 months to have the reliable running contacts with him. I was unsure at one point but I decided I will stick to it and make it happen.

Unknown said...

Love the picture of Miley on the tree stump, she's gorgeous! Sorry that you had the fall, hope you're ok now.

Chris and Ricky said...

Awesome photos!! Sorry to hear that you fell and I hope you're not in too much pain today, but the photos were worth it! Miley is so beautiful and she is a great poser!

Glad to hear that Miley is not injured. All interesting stuff that Debbie Gross Sanders said. I would be totally freaking out if I had been trained to do running contacts, then switched to 2o2o, and now somebody was suggesting switching to 4 on the floor! Maybe she is right though and after you get used to the idea, you might decide to do it. Sounds like a lot of work but it might really pay off in the end.

Sara said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. Sorry you got hurt, but being on the ground gave you a really cool angle!

Oh boy, now what are you going to do with your A-Frame? I feel for you. You've worked so hard, and now someone suggests you basically start all over. That is a tough pill to swallow.

I'm glad Miley's not hurt. The stretching and strengthening suggestions were interesting. Athletes do so much of that, I guess I tend to forget that our dogs are athletes too, and they need to do that stuff too.

Marie said...

Well, I liked the photo of Miley running across the field. They are all lovely though, as usual!

Nice to hear that Miley doesn't have an injury. That's got to be a relief. I think that the stretching exercises sound like a good idea.

As for the 2o/2o this is a question that I've been asking myself for my younger dogs. I had originally decided that I'd have them do a 2o/2o for the A-frame, and then when Layla came up lame for all those weeks shortly after we started doing it, I changed my mind. I now have decided that both she and Dare will have a running A-frame, a 2o/2o on the dogwalk and four feet on the teeter. I'm hoping that it works!

Dawn said...

Miley is very much an athlete, and a beautiful one at that! I think the warm up and the stretching will help. She's just gorgeous!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I really hope you are ok-that sounds like a yucky fall...and you are a great photographer catching your shot after that, LOL. So I would love to see a video of what you are supposed to do with Miley and the lower back and warm up. That is where Breeze gets her problems when she is starting to hurt it goes right to her lower back. That was terrific of you to transport that sheltie-a good deed for the little sheltie off to a good new life.

Dawn P said...

Are you doing ball work with Miley? It helps me stretch Whisper's back. I love Deb but it may not be good for Miley if she starts jumping over the yellow to the ground to get her reinforcement. Of course running is going to be the best for them physically if you can maintain criteria. But if you can't it could be as injurious as anything else you do. JMO.