Thursday, December 31, 2009

2nd day of the Trial

First, know that I'm really tried ,so I hope I don't sound negative. O'yea, my lucky sharks tooth didn't work. LoL. My goal today was to stop worrying about what might happen and run the course. When I got there and saw the JWW course, I decided my goal was going to be: a better front cross then I did yesterday.
Here is the course map. Hopefully you can read it. We did much better than yesterday. She went into the 2nd pole of the weaves. And you cant see it on video but I step into her right at the triple and cause her to drop the bar. I'm not sure why I did that and of course I said "sorry Mi" when I did it. LOL. At the end of my video you see this little girl who is either 4 or 5 yr.old. She was the leash runner for our class. She ran a sheltie in novice and was awesome. Beautiful front crosses, dog changing leads, unbelievable. And she said "Good-luck" to me when she was taking the leash.



">

My little stinker dog almost broke her start line stay. Ugh! She doesn't look that fast but her time was the 5th fastest and there were 3 world team people running shelties in my class. Hey, I have to make myself feel good.




Now for the next run. Open Standard. Again I wasn't doing the table. We had some problems. I thought I could just post turn #3 to #4. But she went off course into a tunnel. Can anyone tell me why she did that. I just didn't feel I had enough time to do a front cross but I guess I should have tried. We got back on course without any zoomies. After the dogwalk she took the wrong tunnel entrance. I really thought I was heading to the correct tunnel entrance and that would be enough of a cue but I guess not. I should have done what Ive been practicing with Meagan, outside arm cue and calling her name. Live and learn. I felt really bad about this run but after I got home and watched the video, it doesn't look that bad.



">
I just watched the video again. Doesn't it look like I turned enough shoulder to cue that jump? Let me know what you think. Thanks

11 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

LOL, ooh Miley, she is starting to push that start line isnt she? I thought on the off course tunnel that it looks to me like she has a very early committment point, she figures where she is going and I think you had your feet and your body pointed that way just a hair past her committment point-that miniscule little bit of lateral motion was just enough to confirm where she thought she might be going, I think if you were running most dogs that would have totally been perfect, but I thought by the time you really showed the turn she had already figured that the tunnel was right where she was supposed to go, so she was not even watching by then she was going for it!!! Wow, you have to think quick and early with her dont you? I would be sunk! LOL, she sure has to be a fun dog to run and you really do a great job of it! I love that you are working on things without dampening her enthusiasm and without slowing her down, as evidenced by the time you were running, very impressive. You should be very proud of your self and Miley, you really are coming along so nicely as a team-pretty soon the last pieces will fall into place and you guys will be a real force to contend with!

Sam said...

I'm no handling expert, but I really thought you guys look great. I wish I could be of more help in my comments, but, as you know, I'm just a newbie!

To me, it looked like she was coming in for jump 4 and then all of a sudden got a whole 'nother idea in her head..

I thought her JWW run was beautiful, the weave thing must have been so stinky because she really does have a beautiful weaving style... and a lot of forward drive, Kathy's right, she must be so much fun to run!

Sara said...

4 dods were FASTER than Miley? They must be taken performance enhancing drugs! LOL.

With Miley, your handling has to be so precise, because she is moving so fast. I am in awe of YOU! You have to be able to think so quick, yet you always look really in control. I think you are doing an amazing job. Your bobbles are so minor, and you are so hard on yourself. A true trait of a future chmapion.

Anonymous said...

Hello !

For me it loks like for Kathy.
She logged in already for the tunnel, when you take position for jump 4.
It is a typical young dog habit.
The problem is that we are used to obayed comands and let the moment pass for extra call combined with movement while we look at the dog run the wrong way.

But it is a pleasure to watch your run. And I am sure you both will soon be in top list.

Happy new Year !!

Margit S.

LauraK said...

Gosh, she's such a fast little dog. To me, it looks like you cued her well for that jump- your shoulders weren't open to the tunnel and your feet were pointing in the right direction. It's interesting that she went that far out of her way to take that entrance to the tunnel instead of the closer one (or the DW). Sometimes the dogs are convinced that they know the course :) I'm no expert, but I thought you handled it well, and although a FC would have maybe been a little better there for some dogs, you have to do different things with fast dogs. Did you give her a directional cue at all, because with my dog, I would have said right or clapped my hands to turn her head, but that's what I've been taught- just a thought. Oh well, we live and learn, right? I love watching you two run!

Dawn said...

She's fun to watch, I sure couldn't keep up with her!

Lian said...

Hi Diana,

I am no expert too but I think if you practice too much of the flipping hand signal to tunnel, this is how the dog thinks they should go into the tunnel. I have this problem with Saturn for a long time because I have been doing too much of pulling and flipping into tunnel and each time I have this body signal, he will dive into the tunnel.

Maybe you can cue her to turn right, that might help in that situation?

I am a bit lazy with my directional commands but I realised with Sizzle, he will turn tighter when I give him directional command.

Hope that helps.

Miley is great!

Chris and Ricky said...

I loved the JWW run too! I didn't even notice the weaves and thought there was just that one bar. It was a lovely run! Gosh Kathy gave you some great advice - I thought your post turn looked good and Miley just had other ideas (same with the wrong tunnel entrance later). Hope you had fun because you guys did really great!

Anonymous said...

i think all you needed to do was deccelerate a bit more. you stopped at the a-frame and then ran for #3- which pushed miley out too far...I think you could have got there for a front cross by moving laterally away. it would have turned her head, and she would have known for sure where she was supposed to go.

she really reminds me of wicca. :o)

amanda

Rebecca said...

Why do courses in other parts of the country usually look a lot more flowy than the ones at our trials? Gah, those JWWs look pretty fun. I think I would have handled the JWW from this day pretty much the same as you. Man, that was a smooth run and Miley is so fast.

Marie said...

Well, I thought the other comments were right. It wasn't necessarily that you didn't turn, but she was already committed to taking that tunnel.

I think you two are looking great. I do have to say that it must be an incredibly fast class if 4 other dogs are faster than Miley.