Friday, December 18, 2009

Its a no go

This weekend I was suppose to go to a USDAA trial up in Fletcher, NC. I thought I could beat the storm. I was well prepared. I had snow boots, chains for my tires, extra water, a battery pack and lots of other items for getting stuck in a snow storm. They were predicting 4-6 inches of snow. I drove for a couple of hours. It was going well, no snow and barely any rain until I got over the North Carolina boarder. When I got to the bottom of the mountain, snow was already on the ground and I had just gone over an icy overpass. Hmmm, I still had a steep ride up the mountain side. I don't like that road when the conditions are good. My husband was already mad that I had left. He thought it was to dangerous. I stopped to get gas and its pouring rain and snow. I keep seeing cars covered with snow. I tired to use my cell phone and I couldn't get service. I only had about 20 miles left to go, but I chickened out and went home. So 4 hours in the car and nothing to show for it. Not even a picture of my dog in the snow. I'm so disappointed. They are now predicting 8-12 inches of snow. I guess it was the right decision but I'm still disappointed. I have one more trial to go to in Tampa after Christmas. It shouldn't snow and its under cover if it rains.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Bummer. Uphill in snow...not a good scenario.

If it snows in Tampa, well, those global warming scientists have some explaining to do. LOL.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sorry but I think you made a good decision to come home! The weather reports are terrible and the radar shows tons of rain and snow! Glad you made it back safely!

Anonymous said...

Aww, too bad. I know several of my friends from Knoxville who opted to stay home too.

LauraK said...

what a bummer, all that driving for nothing! Oh well, you probably made the right decision :) I didn't realize the Carolinas got so much snow, but what do I know!?

Dawn said...

I think you were smart to turn around. Even though it's disappointing. My sister was driving back to Columbus GA from TN and she just barely got back ahead of the storm today. I think it's a pretty nasty storm. No trial is worth the risk to you and to Miley.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

That sounds like it could have been a REALLY scary scene, glad you are ok, and it sure sounds like the right decision. You should hop on a plane, it was like 70 here and we are going to a show n go tomorrow, we may not have pretty scenery-mostly just lots of sand and dirt, but this weekend we are lucky enough to have warm weather-we seemed to have sent our storms to all you people east of us, sorry about that ;-(, LOL, although we are supposed to get storms next week

Sam said...

We're supposed to get about a foot, too, so you're not alone. Bummer about the trial. Really hoping they don't cancel my agility class on Monday..

Marie said...

I know how disappointing it is to have your plans ruined by poor driving conditions. That kind of thing is really typical here in Utah. I used to be much more brave, (or stupid) about driving in poor weather conditions, but now I've decided that even though it's disappointing, I'd rather be safe. I guess I'm just a chicken.

Morganne said...

I ended up stuck in a motel 6 in Nebraska for three days because of a blizzard and I80 was closed... all because I didn't listen to that inner voice that said, "Turn around and go home."