Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Stopping

Dawn posted a message on my blog and she thinks that stopping is making Miley circle. So when we stop at the table, it starts the circling behavior. OMG, that makes so much sense! I'm so excited because now I have something I can really work on that can be fixed. When I practice , if I stop to reset the course or do anything beside run, the circling starts. When Im on course and I stop because something goes wrong, circling starts. I try to put her on leash in between sequences to stop the circling. But that's just preventing the behavior, not changing it. Its like she has made is a default behavior. I'm so excited ,I can wait to start working on this. WhooHoo! Thanks, Dawn.

9 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I will be excited to see how the training progresses!!!

Chris and Ricky said...

Hope this is the answer!!!!

Sam said...

Sounds like that could be it! Good luck - can't wait to see how it goes.

Dawn P said...

I hope this is it. Fingers crossed!!!! :)

Sara said...

A breakthough! I'm so happy for you.

Marie said...

Yay! It makes sense, I hope to hear of progress soon.

Lian said...

Ah! That makes sense! Well spotted Dawn. Hope you managed to work the problem with Miley.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dawn! That does make perfect sense. Now you just need to train a new default behavior for what she should do when something goes wrong and you lose connection. I remember a "Find my Face" game described in the motivation and control issue of Clean Run. The basic premise is to teach the dog to seek out eye contact in the event the handler turns away and loses connection due to a mistake. It was designed for unmotivated dogs who pick up on subtle signs the handler is disappointed (turning away, shoulders hunched) to reframe the dog's reaction to the handler's body language, but it might have application here. After all, motivation and control go hand in hand! (Which is why I so enjoy reading your blog!)

Morganne said...

Very interesting! I look forward to reading the updates on this and how you work through it (who knows, I may need the information some day:-)