Friday, December 4, 2009

Tables

So this table thing is really getting to me. For your dog to always get on the table everywhere but at a trial is very frustrating. I went through my papers to see how many trials Ive been to without a table performance. In Sept. she had 5 open stand runs, didn't get on the table on any of them. Then in Oct. she had 4 open standard runs. She did get on the table but usually first by passed it and I had to call her back. But she did get on. What was the difference? The only thing was before the one trial there was a b-match and she was rewarded in the ring when she got on the table. So then Nov., 4 more standard run without getting on the table. Maybe I need to take her some different training facilities and practice it there to. Hmmmmm.

5 comments:

Lian said...

I think training at different venues is the best thing to proof the work you have done!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

hummm, I imagine this is so frustrating for you. This is all stuff I know you are doing and you know....but, it Seems like if Miley figured out to do the table the one time she would get what she really wanted maybe she needs to be really suprised with what she considers valuable when she least expects it?????? So I really like your idea of taking her to different places or fun matches. We just did a lesson on tables and start lines yesterday and I just went to a play and motivation seminar where everyone wanted lots of tables and start lines and she talked a lot about figureing out what the dog wants, like going back to reward with food-which is what I had always done can be a punisher if the dog just wants to go, anyway, (duh, I have been punishing my dog for doing right by keeping her from going when that is what she wants the most,to move.. BAD TRAINER) the games this lady showed were really cool, I am starting to work on some of that because we have start line problems and Breeze is getting less wild about the table, so I am trying to head that off at the pass after reading about how much work you have been doing. So I know you and Miley will figure this one out-I think it all comes from having a super cool, high drive, happy Miley

Sara said...

I think it is a great idea, and I am amazed you keep such good notes on your past runs!

I also agree with Kathy about the food reward. When you were rewarding Miley's table with the chuck it, she really seemed responsive.

Dawn P said...

Oh I know all about the trial frustration when I had a dog with beautiful weaves who refused to do them in a trial for a year.

I'm confident you can train through it.

Chris and Ricky said...

I am sure the table issue will finally be conquered only to leave room for a new issue! LOL!

I absolutely LOVE your new header photos!!