Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More weaves

So here is some more weave entries. First I practice just a few times with the two poles and then I add the rest. I think this method helps them learn to collect to get into the weaves. I'm not sure how but it does. I didn't get it on video but Miley hasn't been able to come off the dogwalk and into the weaves the way it set up right now, until now. I still need to get further distance from the poles but so far its looking good. I finished watching the DVD last night. I didn't hear in the video to let you dog repeatedly fail like everyone keeps talking about. In one part of the video, the dog she is training has a severe entry to get into and fails three times in a row. The dog comes back and starts sniffing. She doesn't comment on the sniffing but states that the dog is showing her that this is to hard and Susan opens the first two poles to make it easier. After the dog gets if a few times, she closes the poles and the dog gets it. So she did make it easier but not by moving closer.

I didn't follow the DVD all the way through because my dog knew how to weave. I wasn't unhappy with her speed or her footwork. But if I was this might be the method to try. I still really like the WAM method but the 2 x 2 weave entries was a big help. At least so far.

3 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Wow, Diana, Miley looks awesome in that video - those are hard entries and she gets them like nothing to it! Neat!

Thanks for answering my question from your previous blog about how you are doing the 2x2 training - makes a lot of sense to me. So you basically just do the 2 poles and then 4 poles but you're putting them in a straight line and not doing the off-setting like people are doing when training weaves from scratch? Am I getting that right?

Miley seems to be really benefitting from however you are doing it!

Diana said...

Ricky, yes that is what Im doing. Its working for us. Diana

Sara said...

Wow, that is really impressive. Amazing job.