Monday, January 26, 2009

Miley's 2nd AKC trial

Well I brought the crazy dog. ( Sorry no video for Saturday, it was hard to find someone to do it) On Saturday we got there at 7am because Miley needed to be measured and we didn't have a height card. So at least now we have a temporary height card until she turns two. So we got there at 7am and waited 6 hours for our first run. She was crazy. It was novice standard and she jumped both the contacts very height and would not get on the table. She just kept circling it. I gave up and sent her to the teeter. So our 4 obstacles were great and our last 4 obstacle were great. No teeter problems and no weave pole problems.
Then at 4pm we ran jumper open. She was great. Very fast, ran the course well but she dropped a bar. I'm sure I did something on my rear cross that caused it. The course time was 46 seconds and she did it in 26.52. There was this tiny sheltie that ran after us that ran it in 25.86. But over all a very great run. I didn't stay to do Novice fast because it was just taking to long. At 4:30pm the were still running the excellent standard course and were still on the 20 inch dogs, they still had the 24 and then 26. So several more hours of waiting. I decided to go home. Someone told me that they finished about 7:45pm. I was glad I went home.

Now for Sunday. Again we got there at 7:15 and they were already walking the open jumpers course. It was a tough course. The judge was Scott Chamberlin. I didn't have high hopes but thought we could hold it together. We didn't. She broke her start line stay and threw me altogether. Then some bad handling by me didn't help. It think 57 dogs ran in open and only 11 Q'd.

So I don't know what happened. She looked like she read the rear cross and then changed her mind. Then my front cross was late so she took the extra jump.

Then we waited 7 hours for our next run. I took her outside at least 3 times for long play sessions with the ball. Worked on waiting till I said "ok" to go get the ball. We also practice our 2o/2o on a wheelchair ramp that was far away from the trial. I was very confident when I went in to the run. I planed a front cross in front of both the a-frame and the dogwalk. Well it wasnt a horrible run but there were problems. She didn't stop for either contact but she did get further into the yellow zone. Then she wouldn't down the the table. I don't know what that was about. So we "Q'd" and took 2nd place but it wasn't something to be proud of.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds like way too much waiting for me! I love the last video, she seemed very good there, hard to see some of it of course. And I think she had fun! Hope you did too!!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

You know she looks like she is doing a lot of typical baby dog stuff, the type of stuff that will get better with more experience, but gosh I would take wild and crazy over a worried slow dog anyday, when she gets it all together boy you both are going to be so awesome. You both are looking good-there were some gorgeous parts in there for sure. Awesome weaves.

Lian said...

She is a very fast little dog! I think the excitement must have causing her to break her wait and no stopping on the contacts but she looked good at both videos. Well done Miley!

Sara said...

I think 2nd place is something to be proud of! Definitely, too much waiting around time. That is too stressful for humans and dogs.

Chris and Ricky said...

My gosh that's a lot of waiting around! It's no wonder Miley was excited and ready to go by the time it was her turn - can't blame her for that! I agree that she is just a baby dog and these things are bound to happen and that it's better she is wild and fast and happy to be out there than slow and freaked out (like mom is afraid I will be!). Thanks for posting the video and letting us hear about your progress....I hope you had fun - congratulations on the "Q" and 2nd place - you should be proud of it!

Natasha said...

Congrats on the Q! And, you've been tagged! See my blog for details :)

Anonymous said...

She looks good! Sounds like a LOT of waiting around though.

I will have to post our standard run at the USDAA trial last weekend. Hannah would not go down on the table either!

OBay Shelties said...

I loved the hands-on-the-hips table command! I think I have used that at one time or another. :-)
She didn't look as bad as you think; she looked like the baby that she is!