Sunday, January 4, 2009

Miley is sick

Miley has been sick since last night. Really the last 3 evenings she hasn't seemed like herself. Usually she runs around and wants you to throw balls and toys. But lately she has laid down the the couch in the evening, she never does this. And she laid down next to me to pet her. She never ever does that. First I thought it was the treats I gave her. But the next night the same thing. So then I thought it was the other treats. Both of these were treats neighbors gave me. I wouldn't buy these myself because I usually buy higher quality treats. But the next night the same thing. I did change her dog food. I put her on a higher protein content dog food. Going from 24% protein to 27% protein. About 3 days ago was when I was no longer mixing the old dog food with the new dog food and she now gets 100 % new dog food. Maybe it the higher protein content that's bothering her. Last night she had 3 bouts of diarrhea. So I gave her an Imodium. About 30 minutes later she vomited a large amount of undigested dog food. I didn't see the imoduim capsule in the food. About 1 hour later she vomited another large amount of undigested dog food. That was about midnight and I put her in her kennel. She slept all night and didn't have any problems. But this morning she just isn't herself. She wont lay down. She stands there and her eyes start to close, then her back end starts to fall over which wakes her up again. She isn't playing. I did get her to urinate about 9:30am. I gave her some Reglan about 8am thinking she was nausea . She ate a tablespoon of old dog food with water. She has kept that down. She not drinking so I mixed some chicken broth with water and she did drink that. I thought she was feeling better but now she is looking sick again. Not wanting to lie down and looking sad. I'm debating on whether to take her to the emergency vet or not.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Poor baby.

Perhaps she is allergic to an ingredient in the new food, or maybe there was something wrong with the treats. Hope she is feeling better soon.

We'll be thinking about her (and you!).

Chris and Ricky said...

I would probably take her to the emergency vet (these things always happen on weekends, don't they?) because I would be too worried since she is not playing plus getting sick. Last time I was sick, throwing up, I was still acting like myself and wanting to play and stuff. So Miley not acting like herself bothers me. It's a lot of money to go to the vet on a Sunday but maybe worth the peace of mind if you find out there is really nothing seriously wrong. Just my thoughts...Hope she's ok whatever you decide to do!

onecollie said...

hi, I know my post is really late, however, I know that collies can not take immodium if they have that mutant gene, it's like ivermectin for them...just wondering if it was the immodium she may have reacted too...