Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How not to train your dog in agility!

I ran Miley yesterday morning because I had a feeling that the class would be canceled. Which is was. I just couldn't seem to get my act together. Miley ran well, but I had really bad handling. So this little video is an example of some things I did wrong. First I front crossed where I just couldn't and cut my dog off. In my brain I knew I couldn't make it but I did it anyway. I'm not sure what I was thinking. ( Do you think Miley understood when I said "Sorry,Mi"? Then Miley does the dog walk and when she gets into a 2o/2o all her weight is on her front end and her back end comes completely off the contact and then back down again. Is that a fault if it happens at a trial? Then here is really bad training. And I even think Meagan told me to always send the dog some where not just release her. But that's what I have been doing when practicing our 2o/2o. I just release her and then she would come into me for a treat. Soooooo look what happened after I release her off the dogwalk. ( she doesnt drive to the jump, she comes to me) Ugh! Now I have to fix that.

Today I ran her on the dogwalk and do you know what she is doing now? She is coming off the side of the dogwalk in the 2o/2o. Not just near the bottom of the dogwalk but higher up. What is that about. I know I didn't train that. But her brain is thinking , "Its faster if I'm already off the side because I know that is the direction the course is set up and she always releases me into that direction". LOL Something else for me to fix. O yea, an a trial this weekend. It should be fun!!

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, there are so many things to learn about handling! It can be overwhelming. Your videos really help me a lot! I just wish I could watch them in slo-mo, it is hard to keep up with you guys!

Dawn said...

Remember your advice to Ricky...just have fun. She is really doing well. I have no idea if her feet coming off the contact on the dog walk and then going back on is a fault. What are the odds she does THAT again!? LOL She'll probably find something brand new to do next! Good luck this weekend!

OBay Shelties said...

I loved her contact; it showed she is really thinking about it AND she kept her speed up. Fabulous; she looks really good.
PS Just a hint; I would do less putting her back on the end of the contact especially when she did such a nice one. Either re-do the entire contact or start from just after the contact. JMHO.

Diana said...

Thanks Bernadette, I didnt even think of it that way. Man, I didnt even think that she may have thought that as a correction. Ugh! Thanks again. Diana

Chris and Ricky said...

Hey, Miley's looking good - awesome weave entry! I can't imagine that is a fault to do the dogwalk contact like she did - she hit the yellow (that's all she has to do - she doesn't have to do a perfect 2o2o - she just has to touch the yellow at a trial)!

Good luck this weekend and I was going to remind you to remember the stuff you told me, too!

Lian said...

That's a awesome contact! I think she is so fast that she put all her weight on the front but she knows that she have to stop, so she did, what a good girl.