Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Miley's toe

We went to the rehab vet yesterday. She felt Miley and I feel did a very nice job really going over everything. After feeling somethings I showed her the video of the dogwalk and I also had one of the a-frame. I also showed her the video of going down the stairs at the park. She watched the videos and had me slow them down even more. Then she felt Miley several more times. She got a reaction when touching Miley's 1st toe on the right foot. She did it three different times. Then she took an x-ray of both Mileys feet. It looks like she has a hairline fracture of her toe. She stated she would feel more confident in her diagnosis if it was a jagged fracture line. She told me in 2-3 weeks it should be fine. She is ok to walk and run but don't let her do anything where she might stub her toe. Uh, have you met my dog? Crazy, spinning and jumping maniac. So I will still keep her restricted that she cant run all over the backyard. Try to keep her off the furniture. She did say it would be ok to go to the camp. I told her I could just not do the dogwalk and a-frame stuff. She said I could test her why I'm there and have someone watch her for any signs that she is hurting. So we will wait and see. I probably just not do any dogwalk or a-frame stuff. Most camps are really about handling anyway.

10 comments:

Jules said...

Wow, Do you think she could have stubbed her toe on a contact? I know other dogs that have.

At least now you know what is going on and that you weren't seeing things!

Chris and Ricky said...

Well that's really good news - I mean it's not good that Miley has a broken toe but it's good that it's not something more serious or career ending! We're so happy for you to get this news! It's really funny that the vet said not to let her do anything where she might stub her toe! Almost impossible!!!

Dawn said...

At least you have a reason for her to be limping sometimes, mostly on the downhill of things. I hope you have fun at camp anyway, I'm sure you'll learn a bunch and she'll be glad to be there even if she doesn't do the dogwalk or A-frame!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OOOOH glad you had your video and got to the bottom of things, glad it was only a hairline fracture, tell Miley to settle down and be careful with her toe for a few weeks!!! LOL, hard when you have a high energy dog to keep them from doing wild things!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it :) Keeping a Sheltie restricted, haha, don't know about that... never works for my two!!

Sara said...

I bet you feel a sense of relief, to finally have an explanation for Miley's gait.

So glad to hear it is nothing serious, and that she should heal on her own.

ThePainterPack said...

I am furry glad it was not worse. Good luck on restricting activity!!!

Mya Boo Boo

Nicki said...

Glad she's gonna be ok-Oreo broke his toe once, healed up fine.

OBay Shelties said...

That is good news! (yeah that sounds weird to say!)

Johann The Dog said...

Wow, been gone for a while and look what happens! So sorry for Miley, not easy for a wacky sheltie to settle down. One time I had this weird thing where I would run and jump fine, but if I turned I would raise up and limp. Took three vets and a demand for xrays to find out I had a dislocated toe. They popped it back in and I had 6 weeks of leash rest. I was raring to go after that! Glad you finally found out what was going on. So hard to find the answers some times.