Friday, February 6, 2009

Miley

Miley is much better. No more bloody diarrhea . I'm still feeding her chicken and rice. I did add a little dog food to her meal this morning. I'm not sure why but the vet cut a lot of her hair off her butt. I had just washed her the night before so she couldn't have been that messed up back there. Its not really noticeable unless her tail is up , but it looks funny. I haven't seen anymore limping or strange movement on her rear leg. The rehab vet called me yesterday and she can see us Monday. So that is good. I will feel much better after someone who understands movement and leg injuries checks her.
Ive been doing a little training with Miley. The 2o/2o, she just doesn't understand her job. It didn't have anything to do with the treats. So I'm planning on taking the plank a bunch of different places and working on it. That shouldn't be hard on her leg. Ive also been doing Susan Garretts one jump DVD. ( Just the front and rear cross on the flat stuff). The one exercise ( for a rear cross), you put the dog in a sit. You step back and away from the dog maybe 4-5 feet. Then you turn and walk behind your dog. As soon as you cross behind your dog, the dogs head should flip the other direction. When that happens you release the dog and give them a treat to come to you. Treat with the arm closest to the dog. ( I hope this make sense) Your dog should not flip its head as soon as you turn your shoulders. They should wait until you cross behind them. Well, Miley is turning her head as soon as my shoulders turn. At first I didn't know what to do. But then after much thought I figured out what to do. We just worked on a very slight shoulder turn. If she didn't flip her head, I gave her a treat. I gradually worked up to a complete shoulder turn without her flipping her head. And then to crossing behind her , head flip, release and treat. I guess we have a lot of work to do. After watching the video, I can now see why my arm movement and things have been confusing her with the crosses.

10 comments:

Jules said...

Glad Miley is feeling better and you have an appointment with a rehab vet. hopefully they can tell you what is going on with her.

how do you find the one Jump DVD? Someone I know on my schnauzer lists highly recommended it, but I haven't purchased it yet. I have a hard time with dvds - even though it is helpful to be able to SEE the training taking place.

Diana said...

Jules, Its a long DVD. She does a lot for building drive for the jump. So if that is something you need. I really havent used it much but I am finding it helpful for the FC and RC stuff. I never do well with DVD's either. To bad you couldnt borrow it from someone. Diana

Dawn said...

Glad Miley is doing better! I know how much we worry when our furkids are not feeling well! Hope the training works out too! AND good luck with the rehab vet!

Anonymous said...

Glad that Miley is doing so much better!!!! Jessie had had her butt shaved by the Vet as well when she had bloody diarrhea and it made it a lot easer for me and her to keep it clean, although her rear end looked pretty funny for a while.

Sara said...

So happy to hear that Miley is feeling better!

We learned a little one jump stuff at Oreo's class last week. It was interesting. I'm hoping to learn some more tomorrow.

Chris and Ricky said...

Glad that Miley is better! Now we hope you get a good report from the rehab vet!

Lian said...

So glad Miley is feeling better.

I don't know why the vet likes to shave the hair off our shelties! My Saturn is still looking very ugly since last July, his coat never seems to regrow!

Dawn said...

I have to add, you have the BEST pictures are your header! The two of them there now is just beautiful!

Diana said...

Thanks Dawn

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

YIPPIE, so glad Miley is feeling better and glad you can get the check with the rehab vet sooner, at lest that will give you one less thing to worry about. I am going to have to look at that rear cross work on the SG one jump DVD, we are really trying to get our rear crosses into shape so that sounds like it might be helpful