Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Big Birds nest


This is a "sculpture" that is at the park. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like Big Bird's Nest. Its kinda a weird sculpture but who am I to say what art is.
I took the dogs to walk at the park. I still haven't seen Miley hold her foot up but I'm still having her take it easy. Most evenings are spent in the bonus room watching the ferrets. That's one of Miley's favorite things. At least she isn't running around being crazy. Most of the time the ferrets just hide from her. She doesn't play very gentle so the ferrets just run as fast as they can to different spots to hide. Ive been having a hard time finding a vet to see her about her foot. The rehab vet I go to is out of town this week and then I cant get an appt. until the 18th. I asked that they call me if someone cancels. I could go to my regular vet but they aren't to much into evaluating gaits. I'm not saying they aren't good, its just not their thing.
I took Guiness to his freestyle class on Sunday. I missed last week because of the agility trial. Things I'm doing wrong. Ive been saying the verbal command and using a hand signal at the same time. You cant use hand signals in the ring. Every command has to be on verbals. So I need to practice saying the verbal, wait a few seconds. Then if he doesnt respond , give the hand signal. We also learned a new trick. You have your dog spin and then back through your legs. I have a lot of work to do on that one. O, yea, doing things wrong. I would say "yes" as my marker word. So if I did multiple tricks together I would say "yes" after each correct one. She said that was wrong. If "yes" is my marker word, then saying "yes" means a treat is coming next. She said I could praise Guiness every time he does a trick with, "good boy" ect. but don't say "yes" until the very end. What do you think? Of course for the rest of the class I kept messing it up. O well.
My sister and I had a very nice visit . Her younger daughter was sick on the way down. So Friday night we spent 4 hours at the urgent care. She had bilateral ear infections. Saturday we went shopping and out eat. Sunday morning she had to leave but we ate an early lunch at "Red Robin". I like that place.
Some things that you think about when you are with your family. My sister and I were talking about how my parents didn't take us out to eat much as kids. This will give you an idea of how our family thought of food. We thought the college cafeteria was the greatest thing ever. Soda!! We never had soda at home. The food tasted great to us. My sister told me when she got out of Virginia Tech and had her first job. She thought "Denny's " was a classy place. We were really laughing about that. Now she is corporate big wig and flies in private jets all over the country, Then I told her the story of when my brother and I went to breakfast with my grandfather. I guess we must have been 10 and 12 years old. My brother ordered pancakes. My grandfather was in the bathroom when the food came to the table. On the side of the plate was a small ice cream scoop of whitish-yellow food next to the pancakes. My brother asked me what it was. I said, "I don't know, it looks like ice cream". My brother took a spoon and ate a big bite of it. My brother's face said it all. " It's butter". Now I think, how could we not know what that was. I guess it all depends on what you are exposed to . Every time I think of that story, it cracks me up.

3 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

That sounds like a really great visit with your sister! Glad Miley is taking it easy, these dogs like to make us worry dont they?

Sara said...

The sculpture would be a great nest for Big Bird!

When I went to college, I ate vanilla ice cream mixed with Captain Crunch cereal for dinner in the cafeteria every night for the first few months! We never had "sugar" cereal in our house growing up (or soda)! So, I can relate to your story!

Dawn said...

Hoping for a cancelation at your rehab vet so Miley can get in sooner!

We never never never went out to eat as a family either! I too thought cafeteria food at college was WONDERFUL. And gained the weight to prove it! My college roommate had to teach me about eating out, her family did it all the time. You're right, it's all about what you're exposed to. I taught my roommate all about the woods and streams and hiking!