Friday, February 27, 2009

Im so excieted!

There is a new, new to Columbia that is, rehab vet in Columbia. Its only about 10 minutes from my house. Today is the first day she is open. She just called me and I will see her Monday at 4:30. She has an underwater treadmill and a heated pool. Plus a room for therapy with physio balls and caviletties. WooHoo!! Driving all this way has been killing me. Yesterday I drove up dropped her off and drove home. Then a couple of hours later went back up to get her. Today I just stayed because the time in between sessions was only 4 hours. I'm waiting right now at a Books-a-million. Luckily people have posted on their blogs so I have something to read.
Yesterday Miley did really well in the treadmill. They kept the water level the same but increased the speed of the treadmill. When we got home she seemed sore or maybe her muscles were really tired. I didn't see any limping, rolling of the hips or skipping. She just seem tired. I did notice that going up the steps , she 2 footed them and stead of alternating her back feet like she usually does. I told them this morning that I thought she was either tired or sore. So they weren't going to change anything in the treadmill except letting her stand in the warm water longer after the session. The love Miley. Yesterday when I picked her up, the girl at the front desk said, "Your Miley's owner. I looooooove her". Miley is being loved on there which isn't her favorite thing. I'm sure she is thinking, " You want to do something for me? Throw the damn ball."

6 comments:

Jules said...

hah! ball throwing trumps luvin', huh?!

Very cool about a rehab vet that's closer! that will make it a lot easier to maintain things once she's back in peak shape, too.

Sara said...

That's great news. Driving and then having to kill time is never fun.

Chris and Ricky said...

Wow - it's great news that you have a rehab vet close to you now!!!!

Wonder why Miley is sore? Too much too fast?

I agree with Miley - I don't want people loving all over me. I would tell them, "Just give me some food!"

Rohan Shelties said...

Hi Diana! Thank you very much for the nice comment =0) Ive toyed around with the comment settings on the other blog, so hopefully everything starts cooperating! Anyways, I wanted to say how WONDERFUL it must be to have a rehab place closer to you! With everything that I went through (and am still going through) I know exactly how youre feeling about Miley. It started as a funny gait that I couldnt quite put my finger on. Then it would only happen after vigerous exercise. Then it was all the time. It still isnt 100%, because no one could agree on what it was or what to do. Now, Heidi is not put together right. It was probably only a matter of time before something gave. I was sad to see her agility career end (well, now it might not have to due to NADAC!!) but my greatest concern was that she wouldnt be able to be Heidi anymore: no playing with Shelby? Or her ball/frisbee? No running on the beach?? I still worry about it, of course (especially since some arthritis has set in) but she really is a tough cookie, and a Sheltie of course, who likes to work. I sometimes get really worried and the "what should I do next" train starts again in my head (ortho first? then rehab? rehab first, and then ortho if no improvement?) The one good thing is that I have great veterinary orthopedics around me, as well as the choice of going to about a half dozen rehab facilities all in a half hour drive. (Debbie Gross-Saunders is about 2 hours away.)
Needless to say, Miley will get better. And just like with any illness or bout with adversity (human or canine!) it makes you remember whats important: the love for and from your dog.
Take care, and thanks again,
Sheltie Hugs!
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Anonymous said...

Whooo hoooo! Wow, I am jealous, a rehab vet that close....that is so super terrific! I am glad you do not have to make that trip and can stay closer to home, that will be so great for you both. Miley just seems like such a good dog-I can not imagine anyone who is working with her not falling in love with her. Hope she feels less sore after a good nights sleep.

Dawn said...

Aww...Miley! Gotta get in some ball chasing! Katie doesn't like hugs and kisses either. Though last week she crawled up in my lap when I was sad, so she's not above handing some hugs out if the moment is right. She'd rather play fetch tough! :) Glad you have a place to go to that is so close!!