Saturday, October 17, 2009

You know that saying...

"Great dog, shame about the handler" ? That was me today. I would first like to say, she did the weaves in both JWW and Standard. That's huge for us. Next, we got the correct tunnel entrance in both JWW and standard. WhooHoo. But no "Q"'s.

First was our Open Fast run. Ah, we had some handler problems but I still feel like it was a good run.
">

Next was Open JWW. It was taking forever to get started. I was waiting to run and they were calling the walk thur for Open Standard. The jumpers ring was far behind. There was a new judge with an AKC rep. there. I think that was slowing things down. So I gave Lou Miley, and went and walked Open Standard. But now I was stressed. I walked it a couple of times and went to run my jumpers course.It was kinda a tough course. I was unsure how to handle the pinwheel into the weaves. I really wanted to make sure I drove her to the correct tunnel entrance. But when she came out , she couldn't see me. I should have been on the other side of the jumps. So she went off course and I just went with it. Your dog shouldn't have to look for you coming out of the tunnel.
">

After I was done running they called the briefing for Standard. I went over and they decided they wouldn't start until JWW was done. Ugh! I wish I had known that. I did get to walk again.
She missed the teeter and I thought I would just send her to the table. I don't know if she knew she missed the teeter but she did a touch and go on the table and got the zoomies. But when I called her to my side, she came right in. Then got on the table.I wasn't sure how to handle the pinwheel after the a-frame. I was planning on getting in front of her and then front crossing into the pinwheel. But she didn't wait to be released from her 20/20. So that got a little messed up.
>">

Things I need to work on. Rear crossing into a pinwheel. She isn't taking the 2nd jump of the pinwheel. I'm not sure how to fix that. Also I need to work on post turns. She doesn't seem to read them very well.


They had a B-match after the trial but I was just hurting to much to stay. Several people came up to me and asked if I was staying for the b-match. When I said no, they were like , "really?" Hmmm think they were trying to tell me something? Lol I probably did need to stay and work Miley but I just wanted to leave. I messed up taking my medicine. I usually go to a trial, check in, get my stickers and course maps. If they are walking or close to walking, I walk. Then when I'm done, I go take my medicine to ward off the pain. But I didn't do that today. I'm not sure why. So I didn't take it until right before my standard run. Well I was miserable by then. I wont make that mistake tomorrow.

It didn't rain but it was dark all day. We did get to the beach a few times. Miley isn't tired and she is driving me crazy. We have thrown the ball down the beach a zillion times.
Photobucket">

6 comments:

Sara said...

That's a great photo of Miley. Can't believe she still has all that energy. Oreo would be zonked.

Even with your mistakes, I think overall you guys did great. I think Miley knew she missed the teeter and that caused the table zoomies.

I hope you're feeling better tomorrow. Good luck on your runs.

Thanks for the tips on my weave poles. I went back and watched the videos and it really made sense.

Chris and Ricky said...

Miley is such a joy to watch! Those weaves were amazing today! Awesome distance work in the fast class - I mean teeter and then right-side of the tunnel twice! I was also really impressed with how quickly she came to you and got her focus back after getting the zoomies! Sorry you were in such pain today and I sure hope you feel better tomorrow. But you guys did really well today.

I love the beach photo!

Morganne said...

You and Miley are starting to become a team! Yes, it would have been better for you to meet Miley at the tunnel exit. Your forward motion supported the line she was on when she came blasting out of the tunnel and so she took what was in her path. For the pinwheel after the a-frame - what about a forward motion front cross? That would have put you on the inside of the curve. Or RC between the first and second jump of the pinwheel instead of on the landing side of the second jump.

Last weekend, I did not support a jump that should have been in Summit's path after exiting a tunnel. It wasn't, he never saw it and ran by it and so we had a refusal. Lesson learned :-)

Natasha said...

Just view these as learning experiences :) I also think that Miley knew that she missed the teeter. Smart girl! But she seemed to recover quickly. We all make handling mistakes, but at least we'll know what to do when we see a similar sequence at a future trial!

Great job with Miley!!

~Nat

Dawn said...

I don't know anything much about agility, but she sure is fun to watch! She LOVES it so much, to run and jump and play and then get cuddles after! She has so much energy!

I hope you feel better tomorrow and I hope she lets you sleep tonight! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I think I would have done a rear cross between the first and second jump after that Aframe which would give you a straighter line for the chute and tell Miley a little sooner that she was going to turn after that second jump but gosh the weaves were Spectacular and the contacts looked great and I LOVE how you got Miley back and settled her down after the teeter table, that was terrific-

Miley was running fast, and I love how even when there are bobbles you are able to get it together and keep on going, not everyone can do that.

Hope you are feeling better today, that has got to be a tough weekend when you are hurting and having to do something physical and then having all the ring conflicts...