Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Choices

The ferrets haven't been doing to well. The one has been loosing its hair. She doesn't look horrible but its noticeable. The other ferret is having problems walking. Sometimes she seems ok then other times she just falls over on her back end. One of them hasn't been going to the bathroom in the litter box. They are almost 6 yr.old. I'm not sure how long ferrets live. When I look it up, some sites say 6 years and some say 10 yrs. I took them to the vet today. The vet thinks there is something neurological going on with one ferrett and the other one she is pretty sure she feels an adrenal tumor. They want to do blood work on the falling over ferret, but it was 200.00. That's a lot of money to spend on a ferret. I'm not sure what to do. If it were my dogs, no problem. I would do it. But a ferret? I just don't know and I think my husband would kill me. The ferret with the adrenal tumor would need surgery. So the vet wants me to bring them back on Saturday to have the other vet ,that has more experience with ferret, see them. If he agrees with the first vet, I may just put them to sleep. Its a hard decision. Ugh!

7 comments:

BCxFour said...

I am sorry, that is never an easy decision, with any animal, big or small.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sorry to hear the ferrets aren't well and that you have a difficult decision to make. If money were never an issue, some decisions would be so much easier but the reality is that money is an issue.

Lian said...

Sorry to hear the ferrets are unwell. Hopefully you don't have to make the decision, it is always hard when comes to time like this. Thinking of you.

Dawn said...

Such a difficult decision. I guess it's a quality of life thing. If you do the surgery what is the probability of a great quality of life? Or are they already declining into old age and therefore other issues already? Sounds like you and your family will have to decide, and that's just so hard.

Blue said...

I am sorry to hear that the ferrets aren't doing well. It is a very difficult decision, especially when money becomes a factor. :(

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

wow, I am so sorry you are faced with that type of decision....it is so hard when things are not totally clear cut and judgements like that have to be made. ((CYBER HUGS))

Nicki said...

It is a hard decision. I loved my rabbits, but honestly there is only so much I would do for them. They are cute and fun, but I'm not as bonded to them. And in my professional experience I have not seen ferrets age well. I think 7 or 8 is the oldest I have seen.