Friday, October 23, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday was my son's 19th birthday. After work I drove up to his college and had dinner with him. He seemed kinda sad. I think as you get older and realize birthdays just aren't as exciting as when you are younger can be a hard thing to accept. We went to dinner and he was very quiet. He kept apologizing and saying he just didn't know what to talk about. He told me not to bring his birthday presents because he want to wait until he got home this weekend to open them. He was regretting that decision. After dinner we decided to drive around and see if we could find a bookstore. He loves the bookstore and will spend hours there. Just down the street we found a mall. It looked really little but most malls have book stores. Well success. He sat in the bookstore for about an hour reading. I finally told him that I needed to start driving back home. I bought 2 of the books he really liked. When I dropped him off at his door, he jumped out of the car and ran into the dorm. I guess he was really excited to start reading those books. But it made me happy because he now seemed happy. I posted the picture above because its one of my favorites. He loved Batman. So when he was 3yr. old I made this costume. Its just a baseball cap turned backwards. I put makeup on his face. I had bought a pair of black sweats and some black and yellow felt. I cut out the batman symbol and sewed it on. The cape was just some material I cut out , no sewing. He was so happy when he saw himself in the mirror. "I'm batman".

6 comments:

Lian said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Teenager can be very emotional! He looked very cute in the batman costume!

Sara said...

That's a great photo & costume. Glad his birthday ended on a good note.

There's nothing like a brand new book!

Chris and Ricky said...

Very cute batman! I hope your son did have a good birthday - it was great that you could go and have dinner with him! I'm sure it meant a lot to him.

Jules said...

That's a very cute picture. I think late teens to early 20s is a very difficult time. Perhaps even more so for men. I am glad you had a nice night with your son and were able to be with him.

Dawn said...

Awwww...so cute! Sometimes time alone with a parent in a new environment can be awkward. He's still figuring out who he is. But you can count on the fact he's glad you came and had dinner with him. Birthdays alone are no fun.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

You sound like such a great mom and so sensitive, it must be hard having your son away from home, and that is a hard time in life I think when kids are sort of finding their path and carving out their own life-he is lucky to have a great mom like you to support him. Glad you were there with him to spend the birthday evening. That is an adorable costume and he looks so incredably cute in it.