Saturday, October 10, 2009

CDTC trial


Well , I'm home from the trial. I had finished all three runs by 1pm and was home by 3pm. Cant beat that. The rain held off. I was planning to leave and not do standard if it started raining. I didn't want Miley falling off any equipment. But it only rained for a couple of minutes in the morning and that was it.




Our first run was Open fast. The blue numbers was the course I was planning to run except the #10 tire. My front cross after the triple was late , so she took the tire before coming in for the a-frame. The run was great! She did everything, even the weaves were perfect. When I did the send bonus, I had planned to back up after she was in the tunnel so that I could then give forward motion driving into her line, to put her over the next two jumps in the send. I remembered to do it and did it right. She read it perfectly. We ran the course in 24 seconds and got 62 points. First place, whoohoo. Things are looking up.


Right after Fast, was Open jumpers.

I wanted to try really hard to make sure my shoulders were in the correct position for the weaves. Then next thing was the tunnel entrance. When you went over jump #7, the dog could only see the wrong tunnel entrance. I know it doesn't look that way on paper , but walking it, that's the way it was. Miley ran great but went into the second pole, I didn't fix it. And she took the wrong tunnel entrance. I should have driven harder into her line and to the correct tunnel entrance. I was already thinking about getting in front of jump #9 for when she came out of the tunnel. Then rest of the course was great.


Last was Open standard.


First off, Miley jumped on the table and went right into a down. And didn't jump off the table. WhooHoo. Contacts were great. She really ran great until...... She went into the weaves, the correct pole. I was thinking, wow we might actually pull this off. But no. She popped out of the 10th pole and then took that dummy jump right in front of the weaves. Some how she most have known she was wrong. I'm not sure if I'm doing something, maybe stopping motion, that is causing her to know she was wrong. So then she got the zoomies. After that jump she went up the a-frame and jumped off from above the yellow. I'm freaking out thinking she is going to break her leg. Then she runs into the tunnel and I caught her coming out. I took her off the course. I wasn't trying to say she was bad, I just didn't want her doing dangerous things. I hope I handled it ok. She still got treats, just not as many as she usually does.
Over all things were so much better than they were at the last trial. I just need to react better when she goes off course, so she doesn't know she is wrong. I'm not sure why she is so concerned about being wrong. Its not like I have ever done anything to her for being wrong. Weird. I got a lot of great compliments about our runs, which always makes you feel better.



















9 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so glad you had a better trial experience than last time. Thats awesome! Congrats on your first place run!

Dogs are so super sensitive to any change in us, even if we don't think we are reacting to them/us doing something wrong we probably are. They notice everything!

I didn't think Oreo cared if I got mad at myself when I made a mistake, but lately I've noticed he does so much better if I can ignore my mistakes. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

Natasha said...

Sounds like a great trial, congrats. You have exactly my mindset -- never wanting to let the dog know if a mistake was made! Mika has always worried and stressed when she thinks she's wrong, even though I've never done anything to her for being wrong either. Probably both Miley and Mika are so eager to do the right thing, regardless of our reactions...the perfectionist dogs! :) I think it's GREAT that you want to continue on the course and not go back if Miley goes off-course!! as it's the handler's fault anyway, so why correct the dog for it :) Woot! It's a big pet peeve of mine when I see handlers punishing dogs for their mistakes, so makes me happy to read your post!

~Nat

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Sounds like overall a good trial, Miley seems to be super sensitive to you so it would not suprise me if she was reading that she had gone the wrong way. Hey that is not a bad thing most of the time ;-)

Jules said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats on a great day, Diana!

Chris and Ricky said...

Congratulations on your 1st place in Open FAST! Hurray! Sounds like Miley had a great trial over all. You are doing a wonderful job with her!

The exit of the weaves in the STD course looks so hard! I can see how easy it was for her to take the dummy jump. But she did the table!! Awesome!

And you were done by 1PM? Amazing!

Lian said...

well done to your first place! Sounds like a great trial!

Nicki said...

I always try not to act upset about mistakes too but somehow they still seem to get stressed. Dogs must be smarter than we are. I carried my dog off this weekend too for acting crazy. First time for everything.

Dawn said...

Congratulations!!!!! First place on open FAST...and boy was she fast! She just flies! So fun to watch her. Sounds like a good weekend, all in all!

Morganne said...

Nothing wrong with leaving the ring if you feel your young dog is over threshold. I have left many times with Summit when he became so excited he just couldn't think. In that situation, there is no benefit to finishing the run.