Friday, October 30, 2009

Class


I finally made it to a class last night. I really need to go more consistently but I just don't know how to do that and get up for work the next day. I took today off. So instead of getting up at 4:50am like I usually do. I didn't get up until 6:15. I just couldn't sleep any longer even though I was hoping to sleep in until 7am. O'well.
I wanted to go to both the novice/open class and the Master's class and Meagan said it was ok to come to both. I left my house with plenty of time to get there a little early so I have time to warm Miley up. But there were 2 huge wrecks on the highway. The first wreck was on the opposite site side and I stupidly thought, "I'm glad I'm not on that side". Guess what, not even a mile and I was in bumper to bumper traffic on my side from another wreck. Ugh! 20minutes and I hadn't gone anywhere. I was finally able to get off the highway and went around. So a trip that should have taken me 1 1/2 hours took 2 hours and 15 min. I was 30 min late for class. Crap. I need as much class time as possible to learn. O'well, I tried my best.
The novice class set up was similar to the course I posted above. I really cant remember what the difference was in the run. The course posted is the master's course. Its from memory and I'm sure the distances and stuff aren't correct. I just wanted to give you an idea of the flow of the course. Both classes I had similar problems. Trying to get the correct tunnel entrance. I just couldn't do it on the #9 to #10. I tried doing a false turn and then shooting her in but I kept releasing her to soon which sent to the off course entrance. Ugh!
I also couldn't figure out how to handle #14-16. Meagan had to show me how to handle it. I wouldn't have figured that out on my own. Which comes to my next problem. This week I couldn't run the sequences that I set up from clean run. I know it was because I couldn't figure out how to run them. So how do you fix that? How do you learn how to run the course. Some things are easy but there are times when it isn't so straight forward.
So #14-15 was handled as a serpentine. You stayed on the 14 side of the jump and pulled your dog back over 15 and then ran them over you feet and flipped them into the tunnel. It worked great. Our last problem of the night was the weaves. You thought I was going to say table huh? First time to the table she was running so fast , she almost slid off but was able to catch herself. WhooHoo! Anyway, the weaves. In the novice class she got the weaves no problem and it was the same, table to the weaves. But in the Master's class she couldn't get it. She kept getting in the second pole. I'm wondering if it had to due with the fact that it was dark. There are lights on the field but its still pretty dark. But after she missed the weave pole entry a couple of times she started that stress behavior of running around the ring and not coming to me. Ugh! So Meagan had me send her over a jump, then reward and stop.
Just a note. We didn't run the whole course at one time with both classes. She broke them down and we worked on small sections. Then at the end of class you ran the whole course.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Sounds complicated! But at least you learned some useful stuff, and I'm sure Miley had fun too! Enjoy your day off!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

You know what would be fun is to form a training group on the internet, like maybe we could all set up the same sequences from clean run and then video and post them to the group and then all look at the different ideas how things worked and give any observations to people. That might be cool for a lot of people who are geographyically challenged for classes ;-)---I am thinking about how to handle keeping my learning going too because once again,.....for the thousandth time I am without a trainer again, ;-).

Diana said...

Kathy, that does sound like a cool idea. Diana

Morganne said...

Having not walked the course (just looking at the map), would a front cross have worked on the landing side up #9 to get the correct end of the tunnel?

Could you have also done a front cross on the landing side #17 and handled from the inside? I would have handled it that way with Summit (who has stopped contacts) but would have handled it the way you did with Sage (who has moving contacts).

I like Kathy's idea of posting courses and seeing how everyone would handle each sequence and why.

Diana said...

Morganne, I didnt think of doing a FC after the teeter. Thats a good idea. I did try to rear cross after the teeter but that didnt work.
I had originally planned to be on the iside of #14, FC and then post turned to the tunnel. But if felt weird when I walked it that way. Someone did run it that way and it worked. Diana

Chris and Ricky said...

I love Kathy's idea - we should do it! Mom and I are always looking for advice and skills to practice and stuff.

I can't believe you have to drive 1 1/2 hours to class (not counting traffic problems). I would be exhausted by the time I got there and wouldn't be able to do anything in the class. So I think you and Miley do well!

Lian said...

Sounds very complicated. I like the course you posted, it looks very challenging!