Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Practice





I took Miley out to the field this morning to practice. The sheep were in the area where you park your car. We didn't park in there because they also have a billy goat. Those things are crazy. They will jump on your car and eat it. It also sounded like it was spitting at us.

I decided to do the set-up in this months Clean Run. Its near the back of the magazine and called "Shorties". It had all my problem areas. Weaves, table and tunnel discrimination's. Can you see where this is going? I guess I shouldn't have tired to conquer all the problem areas at the same time. Needless to say we had problems. I couldn't get the correct tunnel entrance most of the time. I couldn't run the sequence the way they said to. It just didn't work. So then I started running it the way I wanted to. We did better, still couldn't get the correct tunnel entrance. I really have to be able to drive to the entrance but sometimes you just cant get there. I think I'm going to teach "in" and "out". In being the the tunnel entrance closest to me, and of course "out" being the entrance furthest away from me. So we practice a little of that. Our weaves were terrible. We couldn't get an entrance if it was on side. Ugh! On the way home my husband asked what I had done different since the trial. Hmmmm. It wasn't what I was doing different versus what I haven't done. I haven't practice any weave pole entries. Last we practice distance work. We work on the tunnel to the teeter again. I need at least one step in the direction to get her to the teeter.

This afternoon we practice just weave pole entrances. WhooHoo, success.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I love your new header photo!

I hadn't gotten all the way to the back of clean run yet, but just checked that page out. Looks like some tricky handling stuff.

Maybe they should have called it "short, but not sweet." Rather than "shorties".

Diana said...

Sara, That would have been a better title. It could have just been me.Lol Diana

Chris and Ricky said...

I think agility is great because it's so much fun when you get it right and it's also fun because it is challenging and there is always something to work on and to strive for. Glad you were able to get out and try some new exercises and have some success and also find other stuff to practice! We'll check out the "shortie" exercises - they look difficult....

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I do not even remember seeing the shorties, I will have to look, it sounds like it would be a good exercise for us. Wow, that would be something to have the billy goat jump on the car, LOL, YIKES, I do nt think I would like that at all.

Dawn said...

Miley is so fast, it must be difficult to get out of ahead of her anywhere on the course!

Rebecca said...

I think I might need to see the course, but distance work isn't just standing still and telling your dog where to go, so if you need a step, then you should take a step. Just get further and further away with that one step. I hope that made sense.