Saturday, August 29, 2009

To College

Well this morning we leave to take my son to college. I hope he likes it. I'm trying not to worry but I'm not being very successful. I worry because he isn't the type of kid to tell you when things aren't going well. He never told me lots of stuff that happened at school and how mean some of the kids were to him. I was so worried about him for a time. That's why I became a school nurse. It allowed me to be home by the time he got home from school. I didn't want him to be home by himself. He just seemed so unhappy. That was several years ago and he seems much better now. But college can be rough. The good thing is, he can come home every weekend if he wants to and the college is small (only 2500 students).

6 comments:

Nicki said...

I think he'll do fine. I left high school without a lot of good friends and basically ready to start over. College was perfect for that, less cliques, less popularity contests. You can do your own thing and find people who are more like you.

bordergirlsmom Kathy said...

My son is off on his own too, and boy, it is so hard not to worry, especially when you can not check in with them everyday, and my son is one that never wanted to talk about what was going on when he was bothered too. I feel for you. Your son sounds like a pretty level headed guy and you sound like such a caring mom that I am sure you gave him an awesome foundation, I am sure he is going to do very well, and especially when he is close enough to come home on the weekends if he wants to.....so try not to worry, although I know you will....:-)

Sara said...

I'm sure all the moms dropping their kids off today are worrying.

I really hope he likes his college too. Being close to home is a good thing.

Like I've said before, I'm rooting for him!

Chris and Ricky said...

Try not to worry! We hope he has a great time in college!

Dawn said...

Getting a chance to live a bit on his own, yet being close enough to come home for weekends is perfect! I bet you find after the first semester or so he's home less and less because he is getting more and more comfortable there. It's an excellent way of growing into adulthood. He'll make lifelong friends there. Go ahead and worry, because you can't help it, but odds are it will turn out just fine.

Anonymous said...

Diana,
The school your son is going to sounds like the one my daughter, Kaylee, went to. About 3,000 students and they had strict lifestyle codes they had to sign (no drinking, no smoking and no co-habiting). It turned out to be a wonderful experience for her. I know your son has some difficult challenges, but I think he will do fine. I, too, am dealing with this anxiety, as we just got back from taking Kaylee to Michigan for grad school and I miss her so much (she's so FAR AWAY). And we will be taking Tyler to school in a couple weeks - thank goodness its closer, only about 1.5 hours away. I am learning that part of loving your kids is being able to let them go.
Diane