Sunday, August 23, 2009

Practice




I set this course up yesterday at the field. I hope this judge doesn't mind me posting her course map. She has a blog called "Dog training, Dogs & Life". http://premierk9club.blogspot.com/ She post her courses and will talk about where dogs had problems.


Anyway, the first time we ran it ,I stopped after the weaves because she got in and weaved all the way down. I really wanted to reward that. Then we finished the course. Here is where the problem began. She took jump 16 but then would go off course to jump 4. I had to repeat this area several times, adding pulling laterally ( a lot) , calling her and pulling my shoulder to get her to run the correct line. I couldn't figure out why it took so much to get her to do that.

Some other things that happen on the course when I ran the whole thing. I started with her on my right and she went into the correct tunnel entrance but when I was driving home I started thinking that maybe I should have had her on my left. That way she didn't have 2 tunnel opening sto chose from. It worked the way I did it but maybe I was just lucky. The other problem was the second tunnel. She didn't have a problem getting the correct tunnel entrance the first time but after that it was 50-50 chance. I was rear crossing after 6. I tried front crossing after 5 which made her get the correct tunnel entrance ,the problem was me getting there. I was always late and was in her space. You don't want to cut your dog off because then you dog will start to slow down anticipating you cutting them off. Anyone see a better option for me getting her in the correct tunnel entrance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, I love this course and would have loved to run it in real life. As far as the opening, I might have run it with my dog on my left, but I have slower dogs. If you want to FC jump 5, you'll have to start with dog on right and send to the tunnel from around the 20-25 foot mark on the map. All depends on how well you think you can gamble that tunnel entrance. As for the other tunnel entrance, I would have thought that a RC at 6 would have been more likely to signal the correct entrance since your path with the RC parallels the path to the correct entrance, while having your dog on the left already at that point, you are more likely to drive deeper and push on the line. And that closing, I would expect to have to pull hard at 16. If you look at the dog's landing spot off 15, he can see 4, but not 17. The dog's path is not a straight line through the last three jumps, unless you were to shape the line from 15 to 16 so they carry out towards 10 before turning, but this would waste lots of yardage.
Cool course!

Lian said...

I hope to set the course up and run with mine, it looks like a nice fast course. Thanks for sharing.