Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sick Kid

Well after staying up late to watch the USDAA nationals, I woke up at 5:30 to my daughter vomiting. I gave her some phenergan and she went back to sleep. At 8am she was up again vomiting. Then she was saying her stomach was hurting. I figured it was hurting because she was vomiting, but then I decided to go back in and ask more questions. I asked where is was hurting. It was her right lower quadrant. And it wasn't hurting just a little, it was a lot. So I checked for rebound tenderness which usually a sign of appendicitis. But she didn't have that. ( Rebound tenderness is when you press down on the abdominal area and when the pressure is coming up the person complains of more pain then when you were pushing down) I was still thinking appendicitis. So I told her we were going to the hospital. We went to the urgent care that is like a day hospital. They took her back right away. I't seemed like forever and when your kid is rolling in pain your want to go into the hallway and scream at everyone to hurry up. Dont worry I didnt do that. I know everyone was doing their best. They put an IV in her and gave her demeral and phenergan. She finally started feeling better but 10 minutes later they wanted her to drink 500 cc of barium contrast. Just what every vomiting person wants to do. It was a slow go and of course she wanted to know why I was being so mean to her. ( and I felt mean too) But I told her she had to drink it so we could find out what was wrong with her. She actually did better than I thought she would. I think it took her about 1 1/2 hours to get it down, but she did. Well the good news was she didn't have an appendicitis, but she had a kidney stone. So after about 6 hours we got to come home and she has been sleeping ever since. I have been waking her to make her drink, but at least its not barium. I didn't get much else done. I did manage to watch so more live viewing of nationals and it wasn't 11pm at night.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds horrible, barium is the worst. Poor baby. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Chris and Ricky said...

Diana, We sure hope your daughter is feeling better soon!

Jules said...

Yikes!! That is scary. I was just reading about more kids having kidney stones. Very scary. i am glad to hear it wasn't appendicitis.

Dawn said...

Here's hoping she's feeling better today. And that you got some sleep last night!