Saturday, November 15, 2008

Long week

Its been a long week. It started out with me being sick. I woke up Monday morning with my throat hurting so bad. It hurt to swallow and talk. It was as bad as the time I had mono. I went to work thinking I could find someone to cover for me at least half the day and I could make it thur the morning so the school would not be without a nurse. Mistake! There was no one to cover. I called all the subs and no one could do it. So then I felt like I couldn't leave. I did make it to the doctor, but my strep test was negative. She said my throat looked bad with pus on my tonsils. She gave me a z-pack. By the time I got home after work, I just wanted to lie on the floor and die. Every part of my body hurt. I didn't go to work the next day. I told them when I left at the end of the day Monday, I wasn't coming Tuesday. They would have to find someone. After about 36 hours I felt so much better.
Thursday I had a job interview. It was still in the same district just at a middle school. I'm currently the school nurse at an elementary school. The interview went ok. It was short maybe 15 minutes. They asked me about my nursing back ground. what were my strengths, my weaknesses and 3 words to describe myself. The current school nurse asked me what I thought the health needs were for kids in the 6 th grade? I just couldn't think. So I said stuff about continuing to encourage medical care. That when kids get older we tend not to take them for yearly physicals like when they were younger. To encourage vaccines that aren't required by the school. Like tetanus/pertussis vaccines and meningitis. And help with vision and dental care. I wish I had said something more about eating healthy and exercise. O'well I did the best I could.
I took Stephanie to the urologist for follow up care with the kidney stone. I told her to drink before we get there because they are going to want a urine specimen. She didn't do it, and couldn't pee. I don't know why teenagers can never listen. The last time I went to a urologist everything was done in the office. I saw the doctor, had and IVP and cysto and was done. But not this office. I should have asked. Now next week she goes to the hospital for the IVP and then the next week we return to the doctor. The problem with all this is I have to take off from work. Ive already used 2 1/2 days and I only get 5 sick days for the year. Don't they know that kids don't just get sick in the summer. Ugh!!
Today Stephanie went to New York city. Its her birthday present. She will be 16 on the 19th of November. My sister was going to NYC on business and decided to take her kids. So her cousin asked if Stephanie could come. I told Stephanie it would be her birthday present. She was so excited. Last night I kept telling her to get her bag packed. "I will, I will". So this morning my husband knocks on her bedroom door at 4am and Stephanie says she is awake. Well, Stephanie sometimes talks in her sleep. So when I went up there at 4:30 she was still sleeping. It went down hill from there. They were leaving the house by 5 am to drive to Charlotte. ( she had to take a direct flight because of her age and there were none in Columbia) O yea, did she have her stuff packed? No ! And like I said, it went down hill from there. But she made the flight and now is in NYC. She already called and is having a great time. She crazy, she wants to live there. Not my cup of tea but it maybe hers.
Its been raining for several days. So between me being sick and the rain, not much training going on. Miley has been beside herself. Today it did stop raining but everything was very wet. We took the dogs to the state park to walk that spider women trail. There were lots of leaves covering the paths so it was hard to keep on the trail. I listen to my husband and we got lost for a while. We were still on a trail, just not the right one. My husband has no sense of direction and I don't know why I listened to him. So finally I said we were turning around and going back to where we were and I knew the trail. We finally made it back to the right trail and were able to get back to the car. It was a very long walk. Even Miley was tired. She came home and slept, she never does that. We maybe able to do some agility tomorrow.







4 comments:

Nicki said...

I love that fall photo!

Dawn said...

Sounds like a hectic time! But it all got done, and you had a nice walk even though it was a long one! I love NYC too, it would be fun to live there if I were younger. I can see the attraction, but it' just too crazy and too expensive to really think seriously about living there permanently. Nice picture of the two dogs!

Sara said...

Glad you are starting to feel better.

There was a full moon this week - in my experience that always makes teenagers a little wacky.

Next week should be better!

Chris and Ricky said...

Gosh, sorry to hear you have been so sick! Hopefully you are much better today. Stephanie's trip soudns awesome. Mom visited NYC once and loved it, but that was before she had me! Now she doesn't want to go any where without me.