Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rant!

I will have to talk more about the trial tomorrow. I'm to tired and to mad to talk about it tonight. I will however talk about the judge's call she made on me and my dog on my novice standard run. I know it had been a long 3 days for the judge but I really think she was wrong in my case. First, I'm mad at myself for not going home this morning after my jumpers run. Yesterday it was 8 hours between my jumpers run and my standard run. That's to hard for Miley and me to handle. So this morning after my first run I thought I should just go home and call it a day. But did I listen to myself , no! On to the judges call. First this judge had been very nice all weekend. She gave lots of reruns if anything weird happened. Like a fire engine drove by, it was an indoor trial but all the big garage doors were open, and she felt it effected the dogs run, so they got a rerun. So now its the last run on Sunday, novice standard. Big dogs ran first. A big standard poodle had a beautiful clean run but the dog ran out of the ring. Did the dog come back when the owner called it, no. It tried to run to the stairs and someone blocked it. Did it go back to the owner, no. It tried to run out the garage door area, but people were blocking it. Did it go back to the owner, no. The owner had to leave the ring and finally grabbed the dog as it ran by. It didn't come to her. Did she get eliminated like the rules say, no. WTH!! A while later it's Mileys turn to run. I thought she might get the zoomies because its such a long time between runs ( seven hours, why didn't I go home). We started off good, she didn't break her start line. She ran pass the weaves but came around and went right in. She was running very fast, more obstacles, then the table. She ran around the table 4 times. I think she just didn't want to stop. She had all this pent up energy. So she finally gets on and sits. Ok, runs the rest with no problems. Great a-frame and dogwalk. She stopped in her 2o/2o both times. WhooHoo. It was dogwalk to tire. The end. Did Miley run out of the ring? No. Did she go up to other people, workers, judge, dogs? No Did she run around the ring like a crazy dog? NO. Did she stay near the end of the course? yes. But she wouldnt come to me. So I tried twice to get her to come to me and she wouldn't. So I told her to stay,she did, and I started walking toward her. I'm almost to her, she is looking at me the whole time. So much so she doesn't see the judge come up behind her. Right when I get to her and I'm bending down, the judge grabs her. She said something like, "I'm just trying to protect your dog". I thought this was very weird. But I didn't think that much about it. Well guess what. She eliminated me for failure to control my dog. WTH!!! I was so mad. I couldnt even believe it. She didn't eliminate the poodle but she did Miley. I just cant believe it. I will never run my dog again without asking someone to video. That way I have proof of what happened. I tell you one thing. I'm no longer doing two runs a day with AKC. Its to hard to wait 8 hours and 7 hours for a 24 second run.

12 comments:

Brittany said...

UGH, thats crap! I hate when things get that unfair at competitions. 8 hours in between runs is kind of rediculous too.....ok a lot rediculous!

Sara said...

That seems like a totally unfair call to me. Must have made for a long ride home, and ruined the good parts of your run - your perfect 2o/2o's, start line stay, etc.!

Chris and Ricky said...

That's awful! No way should you have been eliminated! WTH is right! Sorry that happened to you. And the waiting between novice runs is horrible - I can't wait to get to excellent and just go in the middle of the day, do my runs and leave. (that is unless you try FAST and then it's back to getting there first thing in the morning)!

The good news is the 2o2o! Sounds like Miley did an awesome job!

Dawn P said...

I would have been so upset. It sounds like a specific judge. Not sure where the show was (would like to look it up or if you want to email me privately). There is no way she should have grabbed Miley. That's crazy. I'm really sorry.

I hate what these clubs do to novice people. They do it every time. 7 - 8 hours is ridiculous.

I'm really sorry.

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

That's not fair at all!
Anywhere you can put a complaint into?

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

wow, that is a LONG time to have to wait in between runs for sure, and that just sounds ridiculous. You would think a judge would only touch a dog as a very, very last resort if they really, really had to and it sounds like even if Miley didnt come to you she wasnt leaving or out of control. One particular trial secretary in our area now only does trials with fencing around the entire ring and they put on actual GATES to the ring-they did that because of the new rules about the dog leaving the ring not on leash, so you never have to worry about that with the dogs and I love her trials. Our trials are all outdoors and lots of them are right next to busy roads.
Sorry your had such a bad end to the day.

Elayne said...

Wow, grabbing your dog like that is bang out of line, and potentially dangerous. You would think a dog agility judge would have more common sense and basic knowledge of dog behavior. If it was me I would report her to the AKC. Actually if it was me I would probably end up banned from the AKC because I would have had some words for her but that's perhaps not the best way to go.

One of the main things that puts me off of AKC is the possibility of waiting around all day for only 2 runs.

Dawn said...

Wow. I don't follow all of this, but it does seem this merits a letter to someone.

Nicki said...

What a weird thing for a judge to do, and an unfair call. I guess you could compain, but in reality it's one run in the career of your dog so....is it worth it? Bummer about waiting so long. Are there any smaller trials to go to?

Morganne said...

I would have a huge problem if a judge touched my dog. I've seen dogs do strange things in the ring (including jump up on judges) and the judge is supposed to ignore the dog.

Did anyone suggest you file a complaint? I would consider it or at least call the office and report it.

Anonymous said...

That was terrible. I think if it would have happened to Hannah, I would have a hard time convincing her to ever go into an agility ring again. She already thinks the judge is evil. I would definately send off an email to an AKC rep.

manymuddypaws said...

I have never, ever gone to a trial where the wait was that long. crazy. don't think I would do it.

it is unfortunate that the judge took her frustration out on you.

good thing you're dog did otherwise great!!!