Saturday, May 9, 2009

Unlucky Walk

I took the dogs to the state park this morning. I wanted to go early because it was going to be over 90 degrees today. First, I twisted my foot/ankle. It hurt when it happened but then it seemed fine. I thought about turning back , but that seemed silly since it really wasn't hurting. Not long after that, SNAKE! A big 2 foot long snake on the path. I HATE SNAKES! I pull the dogs close to me and cant seem to move. Do I turn back? Is this an sign? First the foot and now the snake. I've been walking in the park for over a year and have never seen a snake. I realize it is the Forest and I know snakes are there. Ive just never seen them. Ive seen them at the other park several times but not this one. Anyway , my dogs are looking at me trying to figure out what is wrong. I decided to go on. And now I cant stop thinking about snakes. You know how many roots are in the Forest, tons. Do you know how many look like snakes, all of them. But I keep walking. Scaring the crap out of myself with roots and any little noise. I'm about 1/2 way done and the dogs seem hot. Ill take them to the river like I always do. We are getting close to the water. The dogs are at the end of a flexi-lead and SNAKE. I don't know how they didn't step on it. O'course I stop and again I'm frozen. When the dogs hit the end of the flexi, they turn around and start coming back to me. OMG they are going to step on the snake. I try to pull them off the path to the side and they some how miss the snake. Now I'm thinking, I got to get out of here. But I'm so far from my car and the only way back it walking it. I get myself together and start walking. Now comes a bike. He turns just in front of us to go up this really steep path but hits a big root. The back part of his bike come all the way up. I don't know how he didn't fly all the over the handle bars but he didn't. I think he hurt his groin, makes a werid noise and gets off the bike. I don't think he realized I was there. So I asked him if he was alright. I know, dumb question. He didn't answer me, gets on his bike and goes. I think he was embarrassed. Well now I'm thinking, there cant be any snakes on the path. This bike was just riding on it. I'm free and clear. Nope, SNAKE. All the way across the path. How did the dogs not step on it? I wasn't going to stop because that would make the dogs come back to me again. So I jumped over it. Now I'm more freaked out then ever and just want to get to my car. I usually let the dogs drink in the smaller creeks but not today. We did finally get to the car without any more snakes. I'm not sure if I will be able to make myself go back there. I hate snakes.

10 comments:

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

oh no, that sounds awful. :( Reminds me of where I grew up, there were loads of ants nests and when the males all come out flying about i always used to get caught in them and freak.

Sara said...

Snakes are so creepy!

I was on a bike path once, and rode my bike over a snake. It took me about 20 years to get the nerve to go back to that bike path. Still, everytime I ride there, all I do is watch the river line for snakes....I hate them!

Hope your foot is ok.

Dawn said...

Yes, how IS your ankle/foot? After all the hopping up and down to avoid snakes I imagine it's not feeling so good tonight! Katie and I have seen a few garter snakes, but I don't think they are too bad, just startling. Do you know what kind of snakes you saw? I know down there the changes of poisonous ones is higher than up here.

ThePainterPack said...

EEEEkkkkkkk!!! We hate snakes!! I can't believe woo all is safe, but I am so furry glad! I hope the foot gets better...but stay away from that park!

Mya Boo Boo

Kim said...

We live right in the middle of the migration path for the local rattlesnakes. In the summer, I drive away from our neighborhood to walk the dogs where I know there will not be any snakes (or at least not rattlesnakes). The rattlesnakes scare me.

Chris and Ricky said...

Well, SNAKES can be scary but your story, since we weren't the ones there confronting the SNAKES, is funny! Sorry but we have to laugh! What kind of SNAKES were they, do you know? Glad that you got out of there safely and hope your foot/ankle is ok!

Sounds like a great place to walk, so hopefully you'll be able to forget about the SNAKES one day and go back!

Diana said...

My foot feels back to normal this morning. I think I just pulled some muscles in it. Im not sure what type of snakes they were. Two were just big and black. I dont think they are harmfull, I just dont like them. Diana

Sarah said...

OMG yikes!!!

kathy bordergirlsmom said...

that would have really freaked me out, I really hope your foot is ok.

Lian said...

Oh No! 3 SNAKES in a walk!!!! Glad you and the dogs didn't get hurt by the snakes!! We have plenty in Malaysia. My mum told me when I was young, I was left sleeping on the sofa and a green small snake crawl all over me and non of them bare to touch the snake just in case it hurt me. Phew!