Friday, May 29, 2009

More about yesterday

Like I said, we went to the training field last night. The horses were out again. So I left my car outside the gate. I was walking the dogs through the field to the agility field. It isn't far from gate to gate. The female horse didn't even look up as we passed her. The male horse was across the field. The dogs were barking, especially Miley. I had my back to the male horse. Luckily my husband was with me because he said," Diana, look out". I turn around and the horse is trotting/galloping towards me. I turn around and the horse stopped short right by me. Scary. I think it didn't like the dogs and was coming to get them. I'm going to have to pay more attention.
Its been very hot and humid lately and last night it was bad. Miley's first run was great and then went down hill from there. I was sweating alot so I know the dogs were hot. Plus the water wasn't working at the field either. So I couldn't wet the dogs down. I carry a gallon of water with me for the dogs to drink. But it is nice to wet the dogs down. I dumped some of the water I had on the dogs, but it didn't help much.I'm not sure it that's why Miley and I were so out of sync. Except for the first run, it was a disaster. Miley contacts: she didn't stop the first time but did the next two times. And then I rewarded this contact because I felt like she was trying to stop. But after I watched the video, I see I shouldn't have rewarded it even if she was trying to stop. ( so Kathy maybe that's how your dog starts turning toward you . LoL )



">

I am going to an AKC trial tomorrow. I just am not feeling positive about it after last night. I will be in the first group to run ( open JWW) and the last group of the day (novice standard). Such a long wait between runs drives me crazy.

5 comments:

Sara said...

It did look like Miley tried to stop, but thought about it just a little too late.

Good luck at your trial tomorrow. Too bad that your two runs are so far apart. That can make for a long day.

Dawn said...

I'm sure you're already on your way, but GOOD LUCK at the trial today!!!

Chris and Ricky said...

Good luck today! That long wait between runs is a real drag!! We hate it too!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

GOOD LUCK at the trial, and that contact training is just so hard, LOL!!!!

Life With Dogs said...

I was reading about the horse gallop with suspense - I had a similar experience with a Percheron who stopped dead at my feet. The dogs just looked on with amusement, but my heart was pounding!