Thursday, March 19, 2009

Weird Week

So Tuesday everything seemed to be going a usual. I had to be a a nursing staff meeting a 3pm. I figured,no problem. The kids leave school at 2:30, so I should be able to leave school and get to the meeting. Well at 2:15 I get a call that there is a student in the stair well with chest pains and cant breath. ( you wouldn't believe how many 6th graders have chest pain) At the same time I get a call over the walkie that there is a student in the gym that maybe having a seizure. Well I cant be in both places at the same time. I decided that breathing comes before seizure especially since it sound like if it were a seizure, is was a staring seizure. So I figured I would go by the stair well, check on the breath kid. If she is truly having problems I would call 911 and then send someone to go see the other kid in the gym. Well I assess the breathing kid. She seems find, breathing wise, I think she was just hyperventilating. I have someone take her in the wheel chair to the health room and I go on to see the sizure kid. I don't think she had a seizure since even thought she wouldn't talk to them she would follow commands. You cant follow commands when your having a seizure. I had her walk with me to the health room. I called her mom and she agreed with me that it wasn't a seizure. The other kid calmed down and was sent home. I finally got the the meeting. When the meeting finished at 5pm, I went home. That's the day Guiness got so muddy. When I got home I let the dogs out and started grilling chicken on the grill. I don't know how Guiness got so muddy. He must have fallen in this big mud hole at the bottom of the yard. I finished cooking dinner and then decided I would clean Miley first since she was only dirty on the bottom half and then get to Guiness. I had Miley in the shower cleaning her up when my son came home. The back door was shut , so he thought I was in the back yard working the dogs. He opened the back door and Guiness come flying in and runs through the house. Jumps right on my bed. It was chaos at my house. Stephanie is screaming at Lou, Lou is trying to get Guiness. I can hear all the screaming but I'm in the bathroom with the door shut so I cant figure out what is going on. Finally Stephanie gets Guiness and brings him in the bathroom. All I can say is, WOW.
Yesterday I really wasn't feeling very good but managed to make it through the day. I took Miley to her treadmill treatment. She was just off. She was in the tank and I'm in front of her and looking down. I can see her hips are doing something weird. So I ask the vet what Miley is doing. She not limping or anything like that but she is pacing. I know there is a lot of controversy about a pacing gait. Some poeple do not think it is normal. This vet and the other rehab vet both think is a normal gait for a dog. We dont want Miley pacing in the tank though because she isn't exercising her legs the way we want. So the vet wants me to work more on getting Miley to trot. I think that when Ive been seeing Miley's hips being weird on our walks, she must have been pacing. But because I'm behind her, I couldn't see it. So that is my homework. Get Miley trotting more so that she can do that in the underwater treadmill. Its weird how sometimes she does great and other days she just seems off. I think I will have to bring different treats, so if she is having an off day that I have more motivating treat.
Then there is today. I'm still feeling bad. I'm not sure what it is but I woke up at 4am with everything hurting. I managed to drag myself to work and figure I would make it. I'm not sure what was going on but I saw 67 kids not including medications. They just kept coming for , I sorry, dumb reasons. When you see 67 kids and only 5 go home. Then there are a lot of kids coming for no reason. I thought I was going to have a breakdown. I don't mind taking care of kids that are truly sick or injured . But when they aren't , it drives me crazy.
My poor dogs haven't been on a really long walk in almost a week. Things have got to start looking up.

6 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Gosh, sorry you're not feeling well and having such a busy time at work too! Hope you feel better soon!

What's a pacing gait versus a trot? And how do you get Miley to trot? Guess you're learning about a lot of things with Miley's problem.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

WOW, what a day! Talk about a day you needed a clone, LOL! That is interesting about the pacing gait, do you know what the people who feel it is abnormal feel it indicates?

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OK never mind my last question, now I see on the video you posted the link for how they say it could be a sign of pain. Gosh there is so much to learn about doggie movement isnt there, I long for the days I was blissfully ignorant, LOL!

OBay Shelties said...

Zen paces all the time when walking slowly out on walks. All her litter mates do the same thing as did her dad. It never slowed them down! And, knock wood, she has never had an injury and she is now almost 6. It will cause that rolling motion when they walk. My herding instructor used to say is was a good gait for them to conserve energy.

Sara said...

Hope you are feeling better today. We have had a crazy couple weeks at school too. At our faculty meeting this week, our principal reminded us that this happens every March! Then, it goes back to normal in April.

Wonder why~spring fever? Hope that happens for you too.

Anonymous said...

Spring Break is needed much more by teachers than students, don't you think? You should hear some of the "illnesses" that my kindergartners come up with. Did you know tummy aches, headaches and papercuts are all contagious?!

You had me ROTF picturing the muddy mayham at your house! Thanks for the Friday laugh!