Monday, March 2, 2009

No Snow!

That's right. We got no snow. Not one flipping snow flake. So now I have to make up another day for nothing. Ugh!!
I changed Miley's rehab appt. to this morning since I didn't have to go to work.
Well Guiness just knocked the pan of spaghetti sauce off the stove and on to the kitchen floor. I called for help from my family but they didn't come. Good thing I wasn't dying. I finally gathered up the dogs so there wasn't a feeding frenzy and locked them up. I cleaned it up the best I could. There is a big throw run in the kitchen and I cleaned it with a carpet cleaning vacuum. Well now there is no dinner for my husband and daughter because they hadn't eaten yet. And Guiness is locked in his crate because I'm mad at him.
Back to Miley's appt. She examined Miley and couldn't get her to react to anything she did. She got great extension and flexion in her legs. She looked at the x-rays. She had me walk her up and back to watch her gait. She said she didn't see anything abnormal in her gait. She feels its either just a stretched ligament or maybe a muscle injury. She also thought it could be a luxating patella, although she said the patellas were tight , with no movement. She wants me to increase the Miley's activity level. She gave me a bunch of exercises to do with her. I'm to alternate he exercises on different days. She also wants me to start her on the physio ball to strengthen her core muscles. This will help with jumping. She will use her core muscle to help her jump and not make her legs do all the work. We put her in the underwater treadmill. She increased the speed to .8mph and the water level was at 7 inches. Miley did really well. She didn't limp or show any signs of any problems. Afterwards I didn't see anything either. But when we go home , she off loaded some weight off the leg a few times. I put a heat pack on her leg for 10 minutes. ( and she let me and just laid there) after that she seemed good. She did take a nap, which probably helped too. Then this afternoon we walked at the park. The one with the hills and all the roots on the ground. She did really well. I didn't see any problems. And when we go home, I did see any problems. Things are looking up. ( I hope I didn't just jinx it)

8 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

No snow? What a pain having to make the day up!

So glad to hear Miley is doing well!

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

No snow, that sucks when you will have to make up that day.
What type of exercises do they have Miley doing? Glad things are looking so good for her, Breeze did the phisio ball and those discs when she was rehabbing and I am going to have to pull those out again to strengthen her core, too bad you dont live closer we could start a doggie exercise class, LOL

Jules said...

I think we got all the snow! 12". Oi - the weather gods do not know it is March, I guess.

That was nice you were able to reschedule Miley's appointment. It sounds like she is making progress.

Diana said...

Kathy, She gave me these copies of cards she has. Some of them are slowly walking up stairs, going from a sit to stand, holding their front legs up so they are using only their back legs, walking figure eights, playing tug, cross leg standing ( where you hold one front foot and the oppisite back foot up and the same time), ladder walking, balancing on balance board and standing on a rocking chair and maintaining her balance. I think that is all of them. thanks,Diana

Sara said...

Sorry about the spaghetti, and the snow day. Hope you sent your family to bed without their supper for leaving you hanging like that! LOL!

We got snow, and didn't have a snow day - go figure.

So happy to hear that Miley is showing signs of improvement! Sounds like a lot of good news to me.

Dawn said...

glad Miley is doing better! She must be wondering what is going on, having to go in that water tank and walk! I bet the heat pad felt good too. Poor thing, tuckered out!

The spaghetti sauce? Guiness must be really tall! Lucky he didn't get burned when it went over!

I don't get that you have to make up a snow day. You should get paid for it like everyone else. Or do teachers have to make them up too? Sometimes employers aren't very people-oriented. I know, my library wouldn't let me have time off to go to my Aunt's funeral. These days you just have to suck it up. Can't afford to make waves I guess!

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

No snow? I didn't get any either, but was not supposed to. I is glad Miley's leg is feeling lots better.
~lickies, Ludo

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

Sounds like pretty much the same exercises we got to do!!! Check out those balance discs-the ones like they use for pilate for pooches, we did those with Breeze and they were wonderful-encourages them to balance and shift the weight to all their limbs, and you can do sit to stand on them if you get the larger size. I had not thought of standing on a rocking chair, great idea for us to try, and I had not got the one you said where you hold their front legs so they only use the back ones. Miley will be in the best shape of all the doggies!!!