Friday, March 6, 2009

Rehab today and other things

Today I still let Miley run around the back yard but only for a few minutes. I did have my husband video tape her when she chased a toy. I wanted to have the rehab vet watch the video and make sure her gait was ok. Sometimes I think she is bunny hopping. So I got the video and off we went to the rehab vet. When I got there I walked her around outside to warm her up. Its on a paved parking lot and I noticed some little pebbles. So guess what happened? She skipped a couple of times. So off we go into the building. I talked to the vet about the foot flick yesterday and the skip just now. she had me walk her again and watched. But you know that weird thing that happens when you go to the vet. The dog doesn't do it. LOL Then we put the dog in the underwater treadmill. She did great. Nothing noticed in the treadmill. You can look under the water and watch the feet and gait. Perfect the whole time. She even increased the speed the last 2 minutes. I also had her watch the video. Once I slowed the video down you could then see that the dog was not bunny hopping at all. It was just hard to see when she is running and stuff. She thought Miley looked great. Had great extension and she didnt feel this was a dog having
pain. She feels that there is just a little laxity in her knee that may sometimes cause a funny feeling in her leg. Like something is off. She also told me Miley could have a sensitive spot on her foot. And next time check her foot and see if anything is on it. Make note of what surface we are on and what we were doing then and before that. Which I feel like I have been doing. Have a note book that I keep Miley's daily activities , exercises and symptoms in. I have been charting it since Feb. 21st. I told the vet that it has now been 6 weeks since this started , should I be worried. She said not at all. It can take months to build the knee up to what we need. Also she told me to do a little agility but nothing repetitive. I think she is a good vet. She did her rehab training at the University of Tenn. and so did her tech. She has a regular vet practice too. And she works at the spay and neuter clinic. She always ask me how Miley did after the last treatment. Watches her in the treadmill, carefully watching her legs and feet and gait. But lets be real. Its a dog and they cant talk. So some of it is a guessing game and see what works. I'm not sure about the agility. We will see how the next few days go.

Next I bought the DVD, Running a-frames by Racheal Sanders. I had originally taught Miley a running a-frame with this method and gave up. Now that there is a DVD, which I felt was a good price , I realize a bunch of mistakes I made. Some of them were not making sure she made the correct number of strides into the box. My jumps were to high. I wasn't far enough away from the box to make sure she understood the box cue. And other things. Good thing I had those videos I made of training to go back and watch and see what I did wrong. Plus she states you are going to have failures in the ring when you first start and you need to expect this. You know what my problem is? I'm impatient and then change what I'm doing. I need to give things time. Oh, you mean like rehab? LoL

5 comments:

Sara said...

Diana - this is the first post where you sound positive and, dare I say, upbeat in so long!

I'd be impatient too. I'd want my dog better - right now!

Chris and Ricky said...

That all sounds like good news from your rehab appointment! We're glad you like the vet - that is a very important thing. She seems to be doing everything and looking at everything. We're glad she told you not too worry and that it would just take some time to build up Miley's knee.....

Buying the DVD was a good idea - you can move on to worrying about something else - LOL! Mom is one of the most impatient people I know so I think she totally "gets" you!! :)

Diana said...

Im sorry Ive been so negative. Its why I really hadnt posted all week until yesterday. Im the "glass is half empty" type person. LOL. Diana

Sara said...

Don't apologize for being negative. That's what a blog is for - to vent when you need to!

Dawn said...

Hey Diana, it's good news from the vet, and she sounds very through. I'm sure Miley is making you nuts though, wanting to be more active! How's the little one that was sick? All better? And I bet Guiness is bored as well. Never good to have a household of bored dogs! LOL!!!