Thursday, March 12, 2009

Skips

Its been hot this week. I think its been about 85 degrees all week. Tuesday it was so humid the dogs were just laying around. I kept thinking maybe Miley was hurting because she didn't want to run around or play. But I think it was the humidity. Yesterday it was still 85 but no humidity and the dogs seem back to normal. Miley even stood in her little pool a couple of times.
Yesterday Miley went to rehab . She really isn't enjoying the underwater treadmill. I don't know how to make it more fun for her. They tried to increase the speed and she just couldn't get it. She would speed up, like she was trying to catch up to me and then go back to her slower pace. And that would make her fall behind and end up at the back of the treadmill. The vet felt she just didn't understand what she needs to do. So Friday we will put a life jacket on her. This will give us more control of her so that we can encourage her to increase the speed. We will also let her go in the pool and see if she thinks that is more fun. I don't want her to think this is torture.


This morning I was walking the dogs and we had walk passed the usual spot where I usually see Miley have an off gait or skip. Guess what, I didn't see anything. We walked up into the cul-de-sac and I was thinking to myself, "Maybe she is getting better". Right when I thought that, she took a huge skip. Ugh! I looked down at the ground and there was a large pebble on the ground. Did she step on it? I don't know. I saw two tiny skips farther along in the walk. Now, I don't think I over did things yesterday. The only thing she did yesterday was go to rehab. I didn't do either walk. The morning one, I was just to tired and decided to sleep an extra hour. I didn't do the evening one because she had done the underwater treadmill. I did let her run in the yard a bit, but nothing excessive. But...... When I looked at my notebook where I keep her progress recorded, I read something that I forgot about. Tuesday I decided to let her do a little agility. I figured the teeter was safe. ( I know, everyone is laughing) But there is no jumping or turning . It wasn't like she ran across the yard to the teeter. She was maybe 4 feet from it. Some how she wasn't straight getting on and came off sideways but at the beginning of the board. It was very ugly and made me cringe. She seemed ok afterwards. But maybe that has something to do with the skip.
And poor Guiness. His skip is so much worse since I restricted all the dogs activity. I'm hoping is will get better as I'm letting him run more in the backyard. I tired to work with him last night on tricks but he gets so excited about food that he is almost crazy. He can hardly control himself. I guess I need to work on that because I couldn't get much training done. I did get him to go into a bow and tell him to wait. Then I put the food about 12 inches from him. Then release to the food. I'm training the bow that way because he really isn't getting the bow without me keeping my hand by his hips. If I don't put my hand there, he goes into a down. So I'm hoping that making him wait in the bow position will help him learn what he is suppose to do. Will see. I also worked on alternating lifting his paws. He was really crazy, slapping my hands with his paws. It made my hands hurt. I think I'm going to teach him to touch a stick with his paw instead.

3 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

OOOH, so the underwater treadmill isnt a whole lot of fun? LOL, we never got to try it because our rehab vet is so far away she felt she could just show us stuff that we could do at home, but guess from Mileys point of view Breeze wasnt missing anything by not being able to do the underwater treadmill. It looks cool to me, but guess if I had to do it.....LOL.
Hey with your activity restrictions and all crate games might be a fun thing to do-to keep everyone occupied. I have not followed the whole program and am planning to do more of them but they do seem great for teaching self control and how to reve up and then settle down-I must say I have not watched the video in a long time and then I just did the first couple of steps, but now my sheltie works in class and then runs to her crate and loves doing that and the border collies will go run to the other room and get in their crate and settle down because they are working on a job, so thinking if I do some more of them it might be good. I am planning on watching the video again tomorrow and I will give you a better review!

Sara said...

Wow - 85 is hot! My dogs would be inside in the AC.

You keep mentioning pebbles in your posts about Miley. Do you think there is a correlation with the pebbles and the skip? It must feel funny on their paws to walk on pebbles.

I think that notebook you are keeping is great idea.

Chris and Ricky said...

Gosh, wonder if you'll ever be able to really know what's going on with Miley? It's just too bad that dogs can't talk!

Guiness gets excited for food like I do - food doesn't calm all dogs....some times I can't do a trick either because I am so excited about the reward!