Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Teeter trouble and then some

No class this weekend. Everyone was at a Rhonda Carter and Jen Pinder seminar in North Carolina. I went to the training field to work on the teeter trouble. I think the problem is the noise. So we worked on me banging the teeter and giving her a treat if she stayed close. We ran some dogwalks and did some handling work. She kept getting sucked into the tunnel. As I was thinking about things, I realized my dog finds contacts and tunnels very rewarding. Ive decided this week to not work on contacts or do any tunnels. I went back out the the training field yesterday after walking the dogs at the park. Again we worked on banging the teeter and giving treats. She did a little better. I also had Guiness run over the teeter with Miley watching. I need to bring another person with me to run Guiness over the teeter while I just work on giving Miley treats for not being scared. I also worked on jump sequences and Miley did very well. I wish I have video taped it because 3 times when I rear crossed she dropped the bar. So I must be doing something wrong.
The only bad thing that happened was with Guiness. Miley likes to chase cars, while Guiness likes to chase bikes. I was letting the dogs run round at the practice field and I didnt see the person riding the bike. All of a sudden Guiness is running and dives over the teeter and under the weaves with guide wires that were next to the fence. I just didn't react fast enough, all I said was "no" . He hit the fence. ( The fence is that square wire stuff that is attached to wooden post ) Luckily he tucked his head just before he hit. He seemed fine but that was very scary. Why didn't I call him off or say "wait". "No" doesn't mean anything to him. We went home after that.

No comments: