Thursday, May 15, 2008

CGC class

I went to a CGC class last night. Mostly to get Miley working around other dogs. There were only 6 people in the class. Eight people signed up. Everyone felt that they needed to work on loose leash walking and jumping up on people. We practiced loose leash walking and how to get your dog to come back to you if the leash gets tight. O'course Miley walked great the whole time. Heeling right at my side looking up at me and doing the sheltie prance. Which just cracked me up because she never walks loose leash on our walks. I told them they needed to bring in some bunnies, cars and joggers to really see how my dog walks. She doesn't have a big problem with jumping up on people unless she is really excited. So no matter what I did I couldn't get her to jump up. I guess will just have to practice these things at home. One thing that I found out was, the CGC isn't a title. Its not suppose to be written at the end of the dogs name. Its just an award. I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.
Running contacts: I put" big" stride regulators up on the dog walk yesterday. I had to make them big so that she would really have to think about what she is doing. I watched the videos over and over trying to decide where to put them. I'm only using 2 because of how long her stride is on the dogwalk. It was very successful. I ran her again this morning and it still worked except one time she took a huge jump. Not good. I felt is was dangerous. So I immediately sad,"no" and we redid it. That time was in the zone.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Okay, I will admit to being a complete dork. When I read, Its not suppose to be written at the end of the dogs name. I got worried.

I e-mailed the AKC and the Director of the CGC program responded and said it is fine to list CGC after your dog’s name in pedigree, advertising, etc. Just that you will not see it in show catalogs because, as you said, it's not a title (i.e. not given out by a judge), it’s an award. Phew!

Diana said...

Sorry Jules, I just ment like when you fill out your AKC registrations for agility matches ect.. Diana

Jules said...

Yea, sorry to be such a KiA! Just call me that annoying molasses girl! ;-P