Saturday, May 10, 2008

The heat is on

For the last several days it has been over 80 degrees after 8 pm. at night. Miley is miserable. I can only work her a few minutes before she is just to hot. Poor Miley, its going to get a lot hotter. Once summer starts it will be between 95-104 degrees everyday. Even this morning it was 72 by 7am.

Dogwalk: I moved the dogwalk up 5 inches and she is still in the yellow. I will keep it there for a few more days and then up it again. The hit-it board is not a hit. She hates it. I cant get her to run to it no matter what I do. Treats , toys or movement doesn't help. She just saunters up and puts her front feet on it and looks at me. I feel like she is saying " ok, I did it. Are you happy?" I decided to forget the hit-it board. I am using the clicker for the bottom of the dogwalk and a-frame. She was hitting the contact on the a-frame but not running all the way to the bottom. So I back chained it a couple of times using the clicker at the bottom and she seem to understand now. Or at least she is now running all the way to the bottom.

Weaves: This week I decided to start weave pole training. She has done some weave pole chutes but not a while. I was planning on using a WAM to teach her like I did Guiness but it's not working so well. She is just not understanding to go down the middle and step over the poles. I even shortened the WAM to 3 poles. It didn't help. So I decided to use the stick in the ground poles and slant them. That way there is no poles down the middle on the ground. I think maybe that was the problem. She is much smaller than Guiness.

Training: I took her this morning out to the training field. We went at 7am since it was already getting hot. No problems at all with the chute. We worked on the teeter that she doesn't like. I lured her on it 3 times and left it at that. Not the way I want to train a teeter but I'm at a lost on how to fix the problem. As soon as it starts to tip, she wants to bale. Even if I'm holding the end so it goes down slower. So I figure , each time I go out there I will work a little on it. We did some jump training. All that seemed to go well. A few misses but not much. Before starting she kept barking at the horses who were feeding right by the fence. But once we started training she ignored them. She ignored the cars too, until the last one . I was able to call her off. So all in all a good practice.

1 comment:

manymuddypaws said...

what about teeter games? have you done any with her?

teeter games are great becuase they build confidence- there are lots of different ones- Vito's fav is "bang it" there is a jump standard holding the teeter up a little- vito jumps on the side and gets food for making the bang and staying on while it's moving...
and then there is surfing- where you teach the dog to run all the way to the end- and figure out that movement isn't scary. you will need a helper though- but from the sounds of it this would benefit her alot!!!

let me know if you want to know more about them..

manymuddypaws @ yahoo .com