Saturday, May 3, 2008

stride regulators

I watch video of Miley running the dogwalk. Then I watch Barb Davis video on running contacts. I decided where to put the stride regulators. The first pass, she would hit the yellow contact. But the 2nd pass , she would jump it. So I would adjust the stride regulators and the 1st pass after the adjustment , she hit the yellow. But again, the 2nd pass she would jump it. This happened every single time. Do you think, she thinks, she is suppose to jump the yellow area? It became very funny, like a game to her. "let me figure out how I can still jump that yellow area after she has moved those bumps." So, I lowered the dog walk to about 2 feet off the ground and now she is running through the contact zone. I was thinking of teaching a hit-it plate, but guess what? I cant find a yellow mouse pad.

2 comments:

Katrin said...

In the video, she is very even in her stride- 3 strides down the down ramp then off. Does she always do 3 strides on each ramp- up, across and down? Or does her # of strides vary on the down ramp? Just 1 run of the dog walk it's hard to tell.

From my experience, dogs with a true running contact, stride with the same # of stries every single time they go down the down ramp, thereby hitting the contact. They don't understand an exact position in the yellow, since they haven't been taught it, but more "how many strides do I do on the down ramp"

Would there be a way to teach her to extend each of her strides? (in the vid she is very bouncy) If you were able to teach her to extend the strides, each being made longer, she would by default if she kept doing 3 strides down the down ramp hit further into the yellow.

Don't know. Just a thought. Good luck!

Diana said...

Yes she always does three strides. I did notice she has a lot of air under her when striding. When I watch Barb Davis's video or Syliva Trkman their dogs are close the the board and not much air under them. I think thats why I need to use a hit-it board so she know I want her to hit the bottom yellow zone. Diana