Thursday, August 19, 2010

What a day





Today has been a long day. It started at 4:50am when I got up. I needed to be at work by 6:45 since its the first day back for kids and there was probably going to be a lot of traffic. Then all these parents are bring me tons of medication. Why didnt they bring it sooner. Then a student comes to the health room with medicaiton in his pocket and when I call mom she gets mad at me. Great, always nice to end the day that way. Plus I did a dumb thing and had a dentist appt. at 3pm. Well I was late because the buses were late getting out of the parking lot, so I couldnt get out. I hate being late. I feel its rude. Then I was late leaving there and had to go to Charlotte to Miley's rehab appt. So guess what? I was late getting there too. When I got there it was pouring down rain. I tried to get Miley out of the crate but she wasnt coming out. Not with all that rain. I had to pull her out. So now Im soaked. Thats always nice too. I get inside and Miley is freaked out. She is always so confident but not at the vet. She didnt like any of it. She didnt want to lie down for the ultrasound. But we made her. She did relax somewhat during the ultrasound. But it isnt like she enjoyed it. The they did the laser. That they let her stand for well, most of it. It wasnt raining as hard when we were done. I took her around back to go to the bathroom and soaked both my feet when they went underwater in the grass. Oh goody. The pictures above are from several rainbows that I saw when going home. I sure hope the ultrasound and laser are worth all that because Im exhausted. I cant find any studies that say therapeutic ultrasound or laser work on muscle injuries. ( sorry about the complaining post.)

13 comments:

AC said...

I'm tired just reading your post! What a day! I'm with you, I hate being late. It always makes me stressed.

Rain, late schedule and soaked clothes, you made it through the day. Those rainbows weren't a bad was to finish either!

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

I hope it helps! I'm going for ultrasound therapy for a muscle injury myself. I have so much scar tissue from my shoulder surgery it's causing almost constant spasms. They're using ultasounds to fix the spasms before I can resume strength training in physical therapy.

Although Layla doesn't have an injury, I take her to physical therapy once a month too. The therapist explained to me that the lasers are kind of like accupuncture. They'll open everything up, treating injuries and preventing them.

When Pat went to physical therapy after his muscle reconstruction surgery, they used both on him, too. He's back to work already, on his feet for almost 10 hours a day.

Sorry you can't find any scientific studies proving they work. I'd love to read them too. But it seems (from 3 different therapists and 3 different practices) that it's a common treatment. It definitely worked for Pat; he returned to work just 6 weeks after fully reconstructing his entire calf muscle.

Hope she sees improvement quickly! Also, sorry the first day back was so stressful.

onecollie said...

complain away :), I hate days like that, you're not alone :))

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

;-(, sorry that does sound like a really rough day (((HUGS)))--Kathy

Sara said...

You should see the made rush of teachers trying to get out of our parking lot before the buses! It's hysterical...but you know what happens if you don't beat them out! Your whole afternoon is ruined.

I hope Miley's next visit goes a bit better. I bet anything that involves staying still is tough for her.

Chris and Ricky said...

Sorry about your terrible day! The first days back at work are always stressful and then add to that a long trip and the rain and dealing with an uncooperative Miley - well all of those things would make me complain too!

There must be some benefit to the ultrasound and laser work for Miley or the vet wouldn't recommend that you try it - at least I like to think that way.

Hope today goes much more smoothly!

Jules said...

Hmm...I am considering ultrasound for my bursitis and I know a friend who used it with her corgi's shoulder issue - it did an awesome job of breaking up the scar tissue (and he had A LOT).

Here is a study about ultrasound and soft tissue injuries:

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/40/12/1331

I don't think there is as much out there about laser but I know it had a tremendous impact on Bug's hip injury. So there is some anecdotal evidence for you! :)

I hope you have a better day today.

LauraK said...

I'm with AC- just reading that makes me tired too!

I hope today is a much better, less stressful day for you and the dogs, hang in there :)

Dawn said...

Sounds like an icky day! Glad it ended in rainbows though. I sure hope this treatment works for Miley, too bad it was on the first day of school!! LOL

Today has to go better for you!

Anonymous said...

My husband used ultrasound an injury, he said he felt that it helped quite a bit.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your rough day. Always seems to happen that if you plan a tight schedule, something is going to throw a monkey wrench into it but if you space things out, you end up twiddling your thumbs. Hope Miley appreciates what you're doing for her!

Mama Dash said...

rainbows going home? what a beautiful way to end the day! i'm glad you were able to look up and enjoy them, even with the weight of the day on you.

we're keeping our fingers crossed for miley!

Sam said...

Back to school is always so hectic. I'm tired from just reading your post. Well, at least probably the worst day of it is over. Just keep thinking ahead to winter recess...